chapter 8: A Wilt.

Lara could barely believe her eyes. None of this was making sense. Someone had to be lying to her, right?

Her date ended up admitted to being the Duct Tape murderer. She was trapped topless in handcuffs in a bed, much to her embarrassment. Her last hope had been the fact that she had thought to share her location with her good friend and colleague, Keith, before the date, so that once he realised that she was missing, he would be able to find her body and perhaps get some hints as to who the Duct Tape murderer is.

But if so, then what on earth was Keith doing here?

He had just let himself into the apartment, so it meant that he knew the password to the lock on the door. Vella already looked like she had been expecting him because she wasn't surprised at all to hear him. She was inviting him in an excited manner, and showing no signs of being scared or tense. What? What was Keith doing here? How did he fit into this entire picture?

Lara felt a hardcore headache coming on. Her brain was being hit with too much information at once. She couldn't understand what the pieces of the puzzles had to do with one another.

"You're running late. Don't have too much fun and forget what you need to do," Keith said, tapping his watch as he approached Vella. He turned, supposedly to leave the room.

He was even giving orders to the girl who had just hinted that she was the legitimate Duct Tape murderer. What on earth was happening? Keith... How did he fit into the picture? It seemed like he was higher in the hierarchy than Vella. The Duct Tape murderer... was taking orders. From her colleague, Keith. The same colleague that Lara had shared her location with in case something bad went wrong on her date. Was Keith the boss of the Duct Tape murderer?

Lara was confused as hell, but she had to do something.

"Keith! What the fuck?" she shouted, jiggling the metal handcuffs against the headboard she was cuffed to intentionally so as to make a ruckus. "Keith!"

The man sighed before he faced her.

However, before she could scream insults in her co-worker's face, Vella's arm swung without warning. In a swipe, the blade in her arm dug straight into Lara's torso. Lara screamed, more in shock than in pain at the moment. She looked at the handle of the knife sticking out of her own flesh, watching as thick red blood trickled down her skin and staining the bedsheets. Drop, after drop. Vella didn't bother to yank the blade back out, almost as if she wanted her to have a slow death by decreasing the rate of her blood loss.

She was as good as dead, she was highly aware of it.

Vella looked completely too calm to be killing, it was almost like taking people's lives was simply a daily task in her life. Lara was certain that she would not hesitate to make a fatal blow. It was only because Vella- or maybe Keith, whoever was pulling the strings around here- wanted her to suffer, that was why she was still alive. Deep in her gut, Lara knew. She knew that as long as someone gave the green light, Vella could end her in seconds. She was not getting out of here. Not when there was one of her, and two of them, apparently.

Keith looked at the knife in her abdomen in disdain.

"Trust me, I told her that getting you wasn't a good idea. I didn't know that you were the next target until a couple of hours ago, but she was persistent," Keith shrugged. "Scream all you like."

The last thread of hope that Lara had been clinging on to, that her colleague would be able to save her from her imminent death, was gone with the casual shrug. It was clear that he did care a little bit. Enough to try and get Vella to change her target, but did not care enough to physically stop what was going on. Betrayal was bitter. Warm tears formed in the corners of Lara's eyes, blurring her view of the man that she had once regarded as a good friend.

She blinked, letting the tears flow down her cheeks. The last thing that she wanted was for these 2 people to see her cry, especially while she was in such a vulnerable position. Lara had always hoped that she would die an honorable death. Not like this. Not after being slapped with a betrayal from one of her best friends.

"Don't worry. I'll make it quick," Vella promised, pulling the knife out of Lara's flesh in a flash.

The police officer screamed. The fiery pain from the blade being removed from her body hurt way more than it did while going in. Blood rushed out at a much faster rate, as Lara's breathing got close to hyperventilation. No. This was not how she wanted to die. She didn't want to be another name on the news headlines, known as another tragic victim of the Duct Tape Murderer.

Vella raised the knife again, except that this time, the blade was pointing to the sky.

The last thing that Lara saw before darkness consumed her was the handle of the knife coming straight for her skull.

***

Written on: 23 Nov 2022