chapter 3: A Sprout

Her date wasn't there.

Lara checked her messages once more just in case she had missed something. Hmm. Vella had not texted since she had acknowledged the police officer's message that she was going to be a little late. Lara tucked her dark hair behind her ears as she slid into one of the seats in the booth. Maybe she was just in the toilet. Yeah, going to the toilet might be a short enough of a trip that didn't warrant a text. Lara glanced at the note on the table, briefly taking note that it appeared to have been torn off from a corner of a notebook.

"I'll be right back," she read aloud to herself.

Aw. Vella even added a little drawing of a heart in the bottom. Her handwriting was so pretty too. The officer felt her heart pound with excitement. Even a simple note was enough to make her heart flutter- Lara couldn't imagine how fast her heart would race upon seeing this girl in the flesh. It was going to drive her insane.

"Lara!"

The curtain suddenly whisked back as a pair of wide round eyes peered in. Lara jerked from the abrupt noise, but her shock quickly melted into affection and recognition. She looked at the girl who was sliding into the seat opposite her.

Oh. God. Oh, goodness.

Vella looked exactly like her photos online. And she was every bit as stunning as Lara could have ever imagined- she was awed.

Her hair was straight and strawberry blond and it stretched down slightly below her collar bones, with the same cute wide eyes that Lara had gotten used to seeing in her profile pictures. The officer could feel her muscles in her own jaw go slack as the bubbly girl jumped into her seat, adjusting her hair. Vella's eyes were dark but deep. She wore a leather jacket adorned with simple accessories, with a light green crop top underneath. Lara made eye contact with her date- but only for a moment- because she wasn't able to sustain her gaze with such a beautiful girl for any longer.

"So sorry, I had to take a work call! Were you waiting for very long?" Vella said, picking up a menu from her side of the table and handing it over to Lara.

"No, no. I just got here. Saw your note," Lara smiled, showing her the little scrap of paper that she had found, in her hand.

Vella reached for the white flower that was still sitting in the middle of the table. Immediately, she stuck it out towards Lara, offering it to her. The already-existing blush on the officer's cheeks only got deeper as she reached a shaky hand up to accept it.

"I'm glad that I still got to give it to you in person!" the blond girl grinned. "I didn't have time for a bouquet but I hope this suffices."

Lara struggled to find the words to respond to her cheerful date as she admired the white flower in her hands. It felt so apt. Not something that was over the top, but still enough to signify a form of romance. Everything... Everything just felt like it was clicking into place with this girl. It was almost like she knew every trick on how to charm her. Fascinating. Lara placed the white flower beside her phone before taking a menu from the girl and opening it for the first time.

"What's good around here?" the officer asked as her eyes skimmed the extensive menu, widening as she was overwhelmed by the multitude of options.

Instantly, her date got up and travelled to the other side of the booth, scooting into the seat beside Lara. The officer sucked in a quick breath, shocked by the sudden intimacy. Oh. She had not expected Vella to be so bold. Lara was barely mentally prepared to see this girl whom she liked, and she was certainly less prepared to have this girl so close to her.

She could control her heart a little easier when a hot girl was seated across the table from her, and much less when she was... thigh to thigh with her. Lara gulped. It seemed like Vella was completely oblivious to it as the girl shuffled even closer so that she could get a better look at the menu together with Lara.