chapter 7: A Fruit.

Handcuffs? Okay, sudden but Lara was alright with that. There was a surprising number of people who have asked her to cuff them in bed after they realised that she was a police officer. It was just... surprising that Vella hadn't warned her about the cuffs beforehand.

Not that she was going to complain, to be honest. Lara was pretty chill and open in the bedroom.

The only problem was that the moment the handcuffs clicked around her wrists, Vella was gone. In an instant, the smaller girl had disappeared from the bed. Lifting her head up, Lara tried to look around for her. The bubbles of panic that she had been trying to suppress were beginning to really stir up now as she saw the girl leave her alone in the bedroom.

"Vella? What are you doing?" she asked.

Lara glanced up in the darkness of the bedroom at the handcuffs wrapping around both of her wrists. The way that Vella had clicked them forced the chain between each cuff to go around the bar of the bed's frame. She could barely lift her arms to further inspect it, but Lara knew that her only way out of these if Vella wasn't intending on releasing her would be to break the cuff, or to break her thumbs so that she could slip out.

"Vella?"

Once again, there was no response.

Lara pulled harder against the cuffs, trying to test their structural integrity all while trying to do something to calm her panicking heart. She didn't understand what was happening. The night was going so well. Everything was going well. Why did Vella suddenly just cuff her up in the bed and leave? She did not understand.

The officer had had many vulnerable moments but currently, this was in the lead. Here she was in an unfamiliar bedroom, without a shirt, with both of her arms incapable of protecting herself. Lara cursed under her breath. Trying to look around, the officer tried to spot the glint of a potential key that could be used to free herself, but if there was one, Vella certainly didn't leave it lying in plain sight.

Should she genuinely be worried right now?

"It'll be over soon. Don't worry," Vella muttered, walking back in... with a knife?

"Woah, woah, what is going on?" Lara shrieked, kicking the sheets away as she tried to scramble back. Sharp pain shot through her arms as the edges of the cuffs dug into the thin skin on her wrists. Even as she was kicking, Lara knew that that was the most that she could do. Her hands were chained. She could only escape closer to the headboard of the bed- nowhere else. "Vella! Could you put the knife down? You're scaring me!"

The girl stopped at the foot of the bed as she turned the blade around in her hand. Its sharp blade reflected the moonlight, sending it dancing across the bedroom. The whole cute bubbly personality appeared to have been replaced with a cold nonchalant stare. Lara could only look at her in disbelief. Her mind was struggling to put the pieces together. Was Vella really about to kill her right now? And why?

"Did I do something wrong?" Lara asked, doing her best to buy herself time. Time to do what, she had no idea too, but just to delay her seeming inevitable fate.

"No. You were unlucky, but bonus points to me. Accidentally getting an officer who is supposed to be chasing after me," Vella purred as she ran a finger along the edge of her blade. "It'll be sensational. A good way for us to have a nice comeback after a little break."

Chasing after them? The only criminal case that her department was currently after...

The Duct Tape Murderer.

After months of chasing, the Duct Tape Murderer was literally right there in front of her. How ironic. On a night where Lara wanted to forget about work and just to enjoy the night, she had come skin to skin with the elusive murderer they have been trying to arrest. And she had played right into the murderer's hands. Lara grit her teeth together. There was nothing she could do. In all her months of chasing after the Duct Tape Murderer, never had she expected herself to be coming face to face with him- no, her- while handcuffed to a bedframe like this. She had never felt so stupid, she should not have trusted her online date so easily. This was not the way that she had wanted to go.

"What makes you think it will be this easy? Even if I die, I'm sure the police will catch you soon," Lara growled.

Thank goodness she had turned on her location for Keith to see. Once he realized that she had disappeared and was not being called in for work, surely he would be able to track where she was. Even if she died in Vella's hands tonight, there was a chance that Keith would be able to use the location to their advantage and hunt down the murderer.

"How?" Vella taunted, tilting her head to the side as she sat down on the edge of the bed beside Lara. "You guys still think that you're looking for a man. I think I'm going to be okay."

She raised the knife up. With a swing, Vella gritted her teeth.

Lara screamed and squeezed her eyes shut. Her abdomen tensed, bracing for impact.

However, instead of pain, all she heard was the tinkling sound of Vella's laugh that she had been so in love with just a couple of minutes ago. Hesitantly, Lara opened an eye. The tip of the blade was hovering right over her exposed torso but had stopped short of stabbing into her flesh. Holy crap. Lara let out a ragged huff of relief. Her cuffed hands were so tense that her own fingernails were digging into the flesh of her palms.

"Scared?" Vella asked, chuckling as if someone had just told her the funniest joke of the century. Lara glanced at the tip of the blade, still disturbingly close to her stomach. Her cheeks flushed red with embarrassment because she knew that no matter what she said, it was clear that she was very very scared.

Who could blame her? This was a violent serial killer, standing right in front of her. Lara could only knew how badly the police had messed up, and it hurt her to know that it was probably going to be very hard for the police to track the Duct Tape murderer down properly. Vella was correct. The police had assumed that the killer was a tall male. They had no idea where the original site of the killings were. They barely knew anything, and anything that they had assumed of the killer was also mostly inaccurate.

She was doomed.

"Why me?"

"You were unlucky. That's all," Vella grinned. "Any more questions?"

The sound of the apartment's electronic lock letting someone in interrupted both girls. Lara felt her muscles tense. Meanwhile, Vella barely flinched. It was clear that she was expecting the person to enter. Either that or she was extremely confident that whoever was entering was going to be an easy kill.

Lara felt so exposed. She was wishing that she would at least have her shirt on to cover some of the embarrassment.

"You're here! About time," Vella said, turning around.

The cuffed police officer lifted her head up. Her eyes widened in confusion.

"Keith?"

***

Written on: 21 Nov 2022, 23 Nov 2022