Chapter 27

Hopper knew that, when Joyce called him, something was clearly wrong. His thoughts spiraled as he wondered what it was, did Steve repress his emotions again? Did Will and Jonathan find out about what had happened, was everyone okay? Joyce didn't make it sound like the house was on fire, but she was clearly nervous. Hopper wasn't putting any possibility out of his mind.

As he pulled up to the Byers' house, Joyce's car was missing, but she stood on the porch, her lips in a tight line.

"Hopper." She said as soon as he stepped out, relieved, and he rushed to her. He gave her a quick hug, hoping to be comforting, and let her grip his arms, grounding her.

"What happened? Is everyone okay?"

She nodded hesitantly, taking deep breaths. "Everyone's fine, physically at least. I don't know what happened, but Robin was crying, then Will basically had a panic attack...Steve's with Robin now, but she's barely said anything."

"And Will?"

"He's doing better, he and Jonathan went to the Byers. I just don't understand it, Hop! Will was perfectly fine and then just broke down sobbing for what felt like hours! I'm worried for him, for all of them."

Hopper shushed her, letting her cling to him desperately, her head resting on his chest.

"We'll get this figured out, I promise." He said softly. "All of these kids are strong, they're all going to be alright."

She nodded, pulling away from him reluctantly. The two headed inside together, where Hopper could see Steve and Robin sitting together on the couch, dried tears evident on Robin's cheeks, her eyes closed. Steve held onto her, letting her rest her head on his shoulder, and a blanket was thrown over their legs. The young man looked up at them as they walked in giving Hopper a nod in greeting. Hopper sat down on an armchair, while Joyce sat beside Steve and Robin, rubbing Robin's shoulder comfortingly.

"Is she sleeping?" Joyce asked gently, and Robin shifted in response.

"No, well, I don't think so. Am I?" She said, and Steve chuckled.

"Nope, you're awake."

"Huh. I figured as much."

Robin picked her head up from Steve's shoulder, looking down to the coffee table and avoiding everyone's gaze, clearly trying to avoid the topic that she undoubtedly knew that they had to talk about, the topic that Hopper didn't really know much about yet.

"So." Hopper started. "What happened?"

Robin took a deep breath, her fingers fiddling with the blanket, and Steve rested his hand on hers, trying to calm her down.

"I...I was called down from my room for lunch." Robin said hesitantly. "My parents have been feeding me a lot, you know? Because they think that I was starving in a forest somewhere? Anyways, they've been feeling me a lot, which I don't mind at all, my mom's a really good cook. My dad's not as good as her, but he makes really good pastaー"

"Robin?" Steve interrupted gently, and she nodded.

"Right, sorry. So, I went down and found that my mom had made...tuna sandwiches. I hadn't been reading their minds, at least trying not to, so it shocked me, and then I was back there."

Robin didn't have to explain herself, Hopper knew exactly what "there" she meant.

"I couldn't...I couldn't get out. The white walls, the ceiling, the cold...the fear. Apparently I had a panic attack right there, and as soon as I was out of it I rode my bike here."

Steve let Robin lean closer to him, as if his hold on her kept her grounded to reality, to home.

"I hate to ask, but why a tuna sandwich?" Joyce asked, and Steve jumped in.