Chapter 17

Robin sat at the table, holding a warm mug as she watched the world outside, taking as deep breathes as she tried to keep calm. She tried to focus on the even emotions she was reading off of Tom, no doubt from him being in an unconscious state, but it didn't help. She couldn't read anything from Steve, but she could see him sleeping on the couch, his chest rising and falling with every breath.

She sighed, running her hands through her hair, hair that was a few inches short from her regular length. She would have to fix her bangs soon, if she really wanted to be normal again, though that was the least of her worries at the moment.

It had been nearly a day since they had attacked the lab, and neither of them had woken up. Robin had managed to fall into a fitful sleep, constantly worried that one of them would stop breathing, yet every time she checked they were both okay. Tom seemed to be doing a bit better than Steve, the only hint of his pain showing as a scar. Robin had managed to clean the skin around it, trying not to cry, yet so, so thankful that he was okay.

Steve was another story. He was motionless, breathing softly through his nose, and was covered in sweat. She wanted to wake him up. She wanted to make sure that he drank some water, that he didn't die in his sleep.

She had nearly lost a friend. She didn't want to lose another one.

But she didn't want to hurt him, either. He needed to rest.

She honestly didn't know what to do at all.

So there she sat, after checking up on the both of them, waiting for something to happen. Something good? Something bad? She didn't know.

She felt guilt swell in her chest, wishing that she had been able to defeat Papa. She could've made him scared, made him sad, had done anything, but she didn't. Now the people she cared about were suffering because of it.

She wanted to go home, before, but now she knew why Steve didn't want to. It was too risky. People could've died. She could've lost her parents like she nearly lost Tom.

She should've listened to Steve.

She took a deep breath. At least they could take down Papa now. At least everything would be okay.

"Robin?"

She jumped, quickly turning around to see Tom watching her, his kind eyes filled with confusion and compassion. She didn't waste a second in getting up and wrapping him in a hug, and he wrapped his arms around her shaking back, letting her sob into his chest.

"I thought you were gonna die you were shot and you fell and you weren't breathing and all I could do was watch and hope that you didn't die in your sleep and this was a horrible idea I'm so sorryー"

"Robin, it's alright. Breathe. I'm okay, don't panic."

She nodded, letting the peace that was in his mind flow into her, though it was tinged with concern, concern for Steve, and concern for her. The girl that was sobbing in his arms, about to break into a million pieces.

Robin wasn't sure who thought that. She wouldn't be surprised if it was her.

"Breathe, just keep on breathing." Tom instructed, helping her to the sturdy floor, and she tried to nod, hiccups piercing through her cries, Tom held her, like a father, and she let him, lacking the strength to stay strong for them any longer.

She didn't know how long they sat there, but she eventually pulled away, knowing that there were things that needed to be said, things that needed to be fixed.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I should've..." She said softly, but Tom shook his head.

"Everything will be fine, Robin. I promise."