Chapter 7

Steve tried to hide his fear when he walked into the room with the tank again, yet his limbs still shook with anxiety. He was wearing the suit again, yet he knew that he wasn't going to float around peacefully like he did before. This was going to be a different test. Like Brenner had told him not long before, it was going to be more physical in nature, not mental.

Instead of being led to the large tank that he was in last time, Brenner's hand directed him to a glass cage, tall enough to hold him and more. Steve's eyes widened as he saw a chain latched to the bottom of it, with what appeared to be an ankle brace on the end of it.

Whatever was going on, he knew that it wasn't good.

Brenner gestured for him to climb into the tank through a ladder that stood by it and went into it, and Steve stiffened, his feet stopping in its tracks. The doctors watched him with critical eyes, and Brenner sighed.

"Nineteen? Step into the glass box. It's your training for the day."

Steve didn't respond. He didn't move.

He really, really didn't want to go in there.

He could feel Brenner's breath on his neck, the older man no doubt getting close enough to try and intimidate him. It didn't. Steve didn't really know why.

"Get in there, Nineteen," He said, his strange tone like it always has been. "Please, do it for Papa, and for yourself. This will help you understand your abilities."

"No."

Steve felt his hands become fists, his nails biting into his palms, and stared at the floor, waiting for the punishment that would surely come from his disobedience.

Brenner sighed again, and Steve lost it. How could he think that Steve would obey him all because he was disappointed? He wasn't going to listen to Brenner. Never again. Robin had powers, as much as he wanted her to get out of here with him, he couldn't let Brenner think that he would be controlled like a dog. He was Steve Harrington. He's fought worse monsters than this.

With one swift motion, Steve pivoted on his foot and swung his fist right into Brenner's nose, a resounding crack echoing across the room. The older man stumbled back, holding his nose as crimson blood trickled through his fingers and onto the floor.

"That's how it feels!" Steve screamed, "That's how it feels to have a nosebleed, Brenner! To lose control! That was for El! For Robin!"

"Oh, child." Brenner replied, unfazed. "I haven't lost control. Papa never loses control."

With one gesture of the hand, Steve was surrounded by guards, lighting firing into his body from multiple tasers. He cried out in pain, crumbling to the floor, his hands slamming against the concrete hard enough to bruise his fragile skin. He felt a hard boot kick into his stomach, leaving him gasping for breath, curling in on himself to protect his chest.

"Stop!" He heard Brenner call, and all of the attacks ceased immediately. "Just get him in the chamber."

"But, Sir?" A female doctor asked hesitantly. "Will this affect the experiment?"

"Yes, but it will only improve the results. Put him in."

Steve groaned as he was lifted to his feet and dragged up the ladder, harshly dropped into the cage. Someone dropped in beside him, placing the bond on his ankle and climbing out. The ladder was removed from the cage, and a lid was placed on top, and the only hole he could find was a small hole near the top, completely unreachable.

Steve sat up as quickly as he could, avoiding the stares from everyone across the glass. He began to fight with the chain, trying to free himself from it. He had no clue what he would do if he did somehow break it, as he couldn't jump out, but he had to try something. He wasn't about to lay down and die. Steve looked up to see Brenner watching him carefully, a tissue pressed to his nose.