Chapter 5

When Hopper said that he had divided priorities, it was a clear understatement. There was so much that he had to do. Find Steve and Robin. Lead the search team. Make sure the kids didn't do anything reckless. Help Joyce recover after Bob's death. Comfort Robin's parents. Get in contact with the Harringtons. Take care of El.

He didn't know what was the hardest thing for him right now, but at the moment, as he wiped huge beads of sweat from El's forehead, he felt pretty hopeless. Whatever had gotten into her when she was bitten by that...thing was affecting her more than anyone thought possible. Not only were her powers gone, but she had gotten sick. Really sick. But they couldn't take her to the hospital, could they?

"Mike?" She asked softly, and the kid, who had barely left her side since she collapsed, clutched her hand comfortably. Hopper bit back the response that formed on his tongue at the sight.

"Yeah, El?"

"Could you..." She shakily brought her hand to her throat, pointing to it gently. "Water?"

Mike nodded, rushing to the kitchen. Hopper could hear the tap running as he wrapped a fresh bandage around her leg.

"How are you holding up?" He asked carefully, and she sighed, her eyes drooping down.

"Tired. Thirsty."

"This infection isn't getting better, is it?"

She shook her head no. He felt her forehead, and it was still hot to the touch. He would have to ask Joyce to get more medication.

El was currently laying in Wills's room, limply laying on his smaller bed. As much as Hopper wanted her to be home, in the cabin, there was no fixing that place for a while. This was the best option for her. Luckily Joyce, Will, and Jonathan didn't seem to mind. Everyone didn't want to be alone, it seemed. Not with El sick, and especially with Steve and Robin missing.

Was it a targeted attack from the Russians, or was it one of convenience? He didn't know. But, it was better to be safe than sorry.

Mike returned with the water, giving it to her with a relieved smile.

"Here, El. It's pretty cold, so it should help with the fever."

"Thanks."

Hopper watched as she took some sips carefully, and he glanced at Mike, who's leg jiggled worriedly from where he sat.

"Did you want to go home, kid? I can get you a ride." Hopper asked, but Mike frowned.

"No, I don't want to be there right now. Nancy's going crazy about finding Steve. She's getting really worried."

As they all were. It had been too long since he had gone missing. There wasn't much hope for finding them now, yet they all still tried.

"I don't really understand it." Mike continued, "They broke up but she's still looking for him like they're still together."

"They have a history, Wheeler, and a friendship." Hopper explained with a sigh. "She doesn't want to give up on that. Even though they're not a couple they still care for each other."

"I guess so."

Mike took the empty glass from El's weakening grip and put it on the bedside table, resting his hand on her clammy cheek. Her eyes were closed now, no doubt preparing her for a pained slumber. Seeing El like this...it hurt Wheeler, Hopper could tell. Maybe he really did love her.

"Hopper, come in, Hopper. Over." A walkie talkie buzzed, Dustin's voice coming in. Hopper excused himself from the room, turning the machine up louder.