Chapter 6

Papa's rough hand was on her back as he led her down the halls of the lab, the white lights bright in her eyes. Luckily she had gotten some headache medication for the aches that had plagued her ever since she helped Steve, but the lights still hurt a bit. Papa didn't seem to notice her distress.

That was one thing she didn't understand. No matter how hard she tried she couldn't find out what his name was. Everyone in the building was always thinking about everything. Husbands, wives, children, television characters, bad jokes, worries, dreams, nightmares, food, pets, trees, cars...everything.

It got overwhelming. And she still didn't know Papa's name.

She found, though, as time went on, she could tell whose mind she was reading. If the mind was cold and calculated it was Papa. Scared yet crazy protective, sometimes confused? Steve.

She read Steve's mind more often than she wanted to admit. Robin tried not to feel bad, all she wanted to know was if he was alive. Reading his mind every day made sure that he was, and she was forever grateful for it. Nothing would make this worse than Steve losing his life, leaving Robin herself to find the body. But, knowing Papa, he would likely use his corpse as an example to her.

She tried not to think about it.

Papa touched her shoulder and brought her to a halt in front of large, white doors. It wasn't the same as the room she had met with Steve in earlier, and she wondered what was beyond it. Papa was unreadable as ever, repeating the same song in his head, over and over again, blocking her from reading him. It was smart, and effective. It was scary how well he could adjust to her new abilities.

"Twenty? Are you ready?"

She swallowed, her hands clutching her medical gown uneasily. "For what?"

"To see Nineteen."

She let out a small gasp, trying to contain the burst of joy that lit up in her. She was going to see Steve. She was finally going to see him.

"Now, I know last time you two didn't really get to talk," Papa continued. "But, this time will be different. There will be no punishments, you can talk to him about whatever you please."

"Really?" She couldn't believe it. This had to be a trick, right? Surely he and his scientists would get something out of it. Yet she found herself not caring. She could talk to Steve. She could check how he's doing without having to read his mind.

"Yes. This is your home, and he is your brother. It'll be good for the both of you."

She was practically vibrating, with nerves or excitement she didn't know, but as soon as Papa opened the door she walked in hastily, barely registering the cameras on the walls.

Steve was there, looking a bit better than the last time they had seen each other. His face was less pale, and he held himself with strength, and Robin wondered what had happened to him. Was he more confident? More defiant? Did Papa do something to him?

The door behind her swung shut, and it was only her and Steve in the room.

"Steve!" She exclaimed, running to him, and he broke into a smile, catching her as they fell into a hug.

"Rob." He said, holding her with a tight grip. "Are you okay?"

"Yes. Yes, I'm fine. I haven't stopped worrying about you. I promise." She exclaimed, tears bursting in her eyes.

"I know. I know, I haven't stopped thinking about you, either. What is he doing to you? Is he hurting you? Is anything wrong?" He asked, pulling away from the hug to study her face, as if searching for bruises and cuts. There was nothing there. But, she was happy to see that he was healing up well, too.