8

Instead of heading home, I turned in the opposite direction towards the medical offices. Quickly phoning my dad to tell him I would be up there, he informed me that he would be at work later tonight.

"But dad, Alpha's asked me to stay the night so I could get used to the schedule and possibly take me to investigate something."

"Investigate something?" Dad sounded alarmed. I internally faceplanted myself for not sugar-coating it, he was one paranoid guy.

"It's fine, nothing too serious."

"Alright." He hesitantly dropped it. "But you're not moving in yet? Right?"

"No, just spending the night and possibly the rest of tomorrow."

"Could you ask Monroe if she could watch the kids, just for the evening?"

"Sure." We said our goodbyes and I hung up, pulling up the long line of cabins. I sent a quick text to Monroe asking her about tonight, to which she responded immediately by telling me she'd bring Lee around. If it's one thing Monroe liked... it was kids. 

"Chloe!" I turned to see Felix jogging up to me. He was five years older than me, and already working in nursing. Mom helped train him while he was in school, and he's going back next year to help manage with me, hopefully.

"Hey." I smiled politely at him. I always simply saw him as a family friend, but over the years he has made it apparent that he doesn't feel the same way. I'm still waiting for him to get a hint. But I don't say anything, since we are not working together.

"Are you on break now?"

"I had to run to go get some things for the office, but I should be here for the rest of the day." He said hopefully as if that was an invitation for me to ditch my duties and go out with him. 

I immediately changed the tone of this. "How's my mom doing?"

"So much better. I've always noticed female lycans heal faster, and your mom heals surprisingly fast." I smiled feeling better about the situation.

"That's very relieving to hear."

"Felix!" I heard a doctor call from one of the nearby cabins. Felix spun backward and began walking so he could still talk to me.

"Sorry gotta go." I waved a hand to say it was fine. "But we should get together sometime."

"Sure!" The poor boy really hasn't got a clue.

"Hi, Liz." I nodded to the plump elderly woman at the front desk.

"Aww hi, baby!" She got up and made her way around the counter to hug me. "Your mom's doing great."

"Thank goodness."

Liz laughed before sitting back down in her chair. "She was transferred to cabin 4, here's the sticker to get in, but I doubt you really need it." I smiled and wrote my name down on the sticker titled: Visitor

"Thanks, Liz!"

"Bye, hun." I walked out and headed straight for the fourth cabin, giving it a knock before a voice told me to come in. 

"Hey." I smiled seeing my mom sitting up laughing with the nurse by her side.

"Chloe!" Mom opened her arms from her spot on the hospital cot. I ran over and hugged her so hard I was scared I'd hurt her.

"Sorry, it took me so long to visit-" I was stopped when Mom put her hand on my cheek.

"It's okay, as long as you're here now." She continued playing with my cropped golden hair as I fumbled for the small get-well card, filled inside with her favorite chocolate, inside of my pocket.