44. There is No Us

En başından başla

'So I can be a remedy for your political headaches.' Rhaenyra groaned. SHe couldnt help but think that if Viserys had listened to her and Taelon before they would have all been happier for it. But she did this to herself and now Taelon couldnt even look at her.

'You are my political headache! Your wedding to Ser Laenor Velaryon will unite the two most powerful houses in the realm. With the combined strength of our shared dragons and naval fleets, no one would dare to stand against us. The House of the Dragon will stand as one for a further generation.' Viserys demanded

'And what will you do about the vulture who perches upon your throne?'

'What vulture?'

'Your Hand.' Rhaenyra informed him

'Otto High tower has served two kings loyally and faithfully.' Viserys assured

'He wants Aegon to be named heir in Taelon's stead. And he will stop at nothing to see it done. You speak of The Conqueror's vision and the need for strength and unity across the realm. But how can that be accomplished with your most trusted adviser so self-interested?' Rhaenyra offered. "Who doesnt trust Taelon, doesnt believe in him and his future rule as I do."

'Every lord and lady that calls for an audience with me, every man on my small council, and all councils past, has been self-interested. It is unavoidable.' Viserys informed her

'I disagree. I will do my duty as a princess and wed Ser Laenor. But you must first do yours as king.'

+

'Your Grace.'

'Five days.' Viserys told Otto

'I'm sorry, Your Grace?' Otto questioned

'Though it was some time ago. The details... they fade in memory. My father was a hale and healthy warrior and dragon rider at the peak of his abilities. Jaehaerys named a great royal hunt to celebrate him being named the Hand of the King. Five days later my... my father lay dead. Tourneys last longer. Baelon the Brave, rider of Vhagar, heir to the Iron Throne... dead of a burst belly. The gods have a dark wit.' Viserys reminded him.

'It was a grim day.'

'I recall it all too well. Yeah... It was a good day for you. Jaehaerys named you Hand in Baelon's stead.' Viserys recalled

'That's hardly how I viewed it, Your Grace. It was a duty.' Otto assured

'You served my grand sire nobly in his final days. You are the man that taught me how to be King.'

'Oh, you honor me, Your Grace.' Otto said happily but King Viserys sighed.

'Just five days... you went from being another man in Jaehaerys's court, to the second most powerful man in the realm. I wonder... how long did it take you to choose yourself over your King?'

'Your Grace?'

'I will never recover from Aemma's death. But Alicent... she took me through the worst of my grief. She was a calculated distraction. I only now realize how well-calculated it was.' Viserys told him stiffly.

'That is an absurdity. The Queen loves you... as I know you love her.'

'Your interests no longer align with those of the realm. Your judgment has been compromised.' Viserys said confidently.

'A loyal Hand must tell his king a discomforting truth from time to time, Your Grace. If he doesn't... he's failed as a servant.'

'You were a faithful servant, Otto. The crown and the realm both owe you a debt that can never be repaid. But I can no longer trust your judgment.' Viserys told him.

+

'I hope you can forgive the late hour, Princess. I took great care in its preparation. If not brewed properly, it can either prove ineffective or else bear unpleasant...' the maester said putting a glass down in front of her

'Brewed properly? I'm sorry, what is that?' Rhaenyra said giving it a sniff

'A tea, Princess. From the King. It will rid you of any unwanted consequences.'

Not any, not all, it would not rid her of the consequences, the repercussions of her own idiocy but she drank it anyways.

+

"Go away Tommen before I bash your head in like Banner did at the last tourney." Taelon demanded.

"Taelon talk to me!" Tommen begged through the door. "I messed up. Please!"

"You did mess up." Taelon agreed. "Why couldnt you fuck anyone else?" Taelon demanded as he opened the door. "Why my Nyra?"

"Taelon you didnt see her, if it wasnt me, she was going to fuck her guard." Tommen remarked. "Wouldnt you rather it be with me?"

"NO!" Taelon declared.