Chapter 3

"So where are we going, anyhow?" Teddy propped up his feet and had his hands behind his head like a king. In just a matter of minutes, that's exactly what he had become. He had all the other recruits practically eating out of his hands. None were as outspoken or confident as him, so they had decided that for now, he'd be the leader. Although I was used to this, it was kinda funny to see him as the 'man in charge', considering there were others much bigger than him, including me. I didn't object though, because it was good all the recruits had come together to confide in one. Not one person had turned down the president's offer, either because they genuinely were interested or they were too scared to say no. Either way, we needed each other, and a leader, now more than ever.

The bus driver snorted, unwilling to give answers, but Teddy persisted. He peered out the window.

"Hmm, okay, it looks like the road you take to get to Republic City. Are we headed somewhere around there? Perhaps downtown?" he stroked his chin like a detective.

The driver's face slightly fell, and Teddy smiled at his cleverness. The rest of us cracked up. Despite us all being from the Republic, really only Teddy and I knew this road because of all the chosen schools, ours had been the closest to the capitol.

Some of the others crowded around the window to see too. I had to admit, Republic City was a marvel. I had probably taken it for granted because I could see it anytime I wanted, but the framework of the city really was amazing. There were the tallest steel skyscrapers situated next to ancient landmarks. Different architectural styles painted the city like a toddler would finger paint a piece of paper.

It was home to the most diversity. It was a beacon of freedom.

One of the guys, who I recognized as the first recruit, shrank back and stretched himself out like Teddy had. The only difference was that this guy took up three seats instead of two. Other than the height difference, their builds were each pretty lanky.

Then again, so was mine.

Teddy turned around to face him.

"Arlo right?" he pointed.

"Yes sir. Arlo Smith." he smirked then tipped an imaginary hat like a cowboy. "Teddy bear?" he mischievously cocked an eyebrow and pointed back. Teddy rolled his eyes while the rest of us roared in laughter. Two wise guys? Maybe this wouldn't be too bad.

"So, what do you think you got picked for?" he ignored the silly nickname.

"Huh?"

"I mean, I don't mean to brag, but out of all the attributes the president mentioned, I'd say intelligence is my strongest suit." Air blew from my nose. One day Teddy's honesty would backfire on him; it was sure to happen.

"Uh, I don't remember what he said."

"Intelligence. Strength. Openness. Trustworthiness." I spoke aloud to everyone for the first time. They all turned and gawked at me, unaware that I had the ability to speak. Arlo pursed his lips.

"Arlo was the star quarterback at his school. Obviously they picked him for his strength." a voice chimed in from the back. Like synchronized robots, or cats chasing a laser, we all turned our heads to whoever was speaking. This time, our attention was given to a blonde haired boy with a baby face. Although his overall appearance read innocent and angelic, there was something in his slight accent that gave him a sort of sophisticated and authority like aura.

"True." Arlo flexed his bicep in agreement and let out a humored chuckled.

"And me, well I have a bit everything.", the boy licked his lips and leaned back, smirking. "I'm so awesome, it would've been impossible for them not to have picked me."