three

༓・*˚*・༓☾ NOW ☽༓・*˚*・༓

        YOU TRAVELLED UNTIL NIGHTFALL.

        You found yourself so deep in the forest you didn't know which way was home anymore. Even if you could return, there was no chance now. You were lost among the towering autumn trees and critter-filled darkness.

        Sitting against the base of a giant redwood, you snuggled into Mithun's fur. It was an awkward angle. You were trying to stop the back of the arrow from nudging against the ground. Most of your weight was supported on your tailbone with your knees bent and feet flat.

        Beams of light from the moon shone through breaks in the trees and onto the ground in front of you, slicing into the darkness with misty streams of light.

        It was cold but Mithun's wolf kept you warm enough. His kind ran hotter than normal folks and right now, you were particularly grateful for that.

        "Get some sleep," you whispered to him, huddling close. "We're safe for now."

        Mithun licked your cheek before resting his head against your belly.

        You closed your eyes, but sleep evaded you.

        All you'd ever wanted for Mithun was for him to be safe and have a home. You were feeling the weight of failure heavy in your chest.

༓・*˚*・༓☾ THEN ☽༓・*˚*・༓

        "Okay." You took a deep breath. "I don't like this but I can't risk you going feral and attacking people. So, make it quick please?"

        Unlocking his crate, you stepped back and watched as he exited with his nose to the ground. Small, black twitching ears told you he'd caught the scent of something interesting.

        This part of the forest was nearby a hunting spot, not hot enough where you'd run into hunters but rich enough with game where the pup should be able to burn off his energy and boredom whilst satisfying his instincts.

        You fiddled with your fingers nervously as he rounded a tree and disappeared into the foliage.

        Should you follow him?

        No. You'd probably scare off his prey.

       You tapped your foot. You had let him off leash in the past and he returned to you, so he should be ok.

        Still, you were full of anxiety and not just from him being out of sight or the possibility of being caught, but also for the poor rabbit or fox he was about to murder.

        Gods.

        Your stomach twisted with nausea at the thought.

        Minutes passed.

        And then there was a scuffle, followed by a growl.

        You stood straighter, heart pounding at the same time a thump reached you, chased closely by a victorious yip.

        Without hesitation, you whipped through the trees towards the sound.

        Coming across an opening, you stopped so abruptly that you almost lost your footing.

        Eyes wide and lips parted, you stared in disbelief at the sight in front of you.

        A dead buck with its throat ripped out lay lifeless on the leaf-covered ground. Blood spurted from the injury, its back legs twitching as if its body hadn't caught up that it was no longer fleeing.