13. Her past

THE FOLLOWING CHAPTER CONSIST OF DARK THEMES SUCH AS RAPE AND VIOLENCE . 

Avani is 14 years old in this flashback.

It was a normal  day for Avani . She was at a camp with some extra study lecture and a lot of games  teacher was absent so they were having an off lecture and Avani wandered in the corridors while everyone else attended the boring lectures. Everyone in her class had already gone towards the ground to play while Avani stayed back and finished her homework and then left to wander around.

While walking down the hallway to the grounds  she heard some commotion in the
storage closet of the school, she could hear someone whimpering and sobbing . Avani decided to check what was the matter. She slowly walked towards the doors. She could hear a male grunts and groans and female cries , she slowly pushed the door and peeked in. 

She was horrified by what she saw. A boy was holding a girl while she cried and he was moving and kept his palm on the girl's mouth to keep her mouth shut. “Please stop” the girl pleaded, her eyes slowly closing, her body going limp, exhaustion creeping up her skin.  But the boy didn't stop, he kept on moving. 

“Stop pretending like you dont like this” he grunted. 

Avani gasped when she realised the guy was raping the girl.

Avani quickly covered her mouth with her palms and thought of what to do ,

“Ma’am ,- ma’am” she whispered to herself and started running down the hallway in search of a teacher or any staff member for help. She tripped over her leg and fell but still got up and ran again. Her knees were bruised but she ran , but after finding no one for a few minutes she ran towards the main office. 

She straightaway barged inside her cabin

“Ma’am-” she gasped.  

“What happened, Avani? Why are you running?” coordinator Maryam asked as she saw a heaving avani barging in her cabin.

“That-in - that— someone — i sa– in the storage closet” Avani muttered incoherently. 

“What?’ Principal maryam asked 

“Quick storage closet” Avani said and grabbed Madam Maryam's hand and ran towards the closet. 

The moment they barged in the closet they saw a girl lying on the floor, her clothes tattered and torn. Everyone was horrified by the scene. 

“Get an ambulance, we need to get her to hospital now” Avani heard someone yell in the distance but her eyes zeroed on the girl lying lifelessly on the floor. Her throat clogged with emotion and she felt angry , hurt and scared. 

She felt if only she reached earlier she would've been okay.

Everyone around her moved but Avani felt paralysed. As if she was stuck .