Bile rose in her throat, eyes squeezing shut. It didn't help anything, the room was just as dark as her mind. She couldn't control the shaking in her body or the way her heart felt as if it were about to stop. Her pulse roared in her ears. Not this, not this.

—————————————————————————

Aurora could only smell vomit and blood. Tamlin had left some time ago, and she didn't know how long had passed. Her leathers were shredded in some part of the room, but her body ached too much to crawl to them. In the darkness, beside her head, Aurora had found a pile of burlap wheat sacks. Thankfully, a few were empty. Curled in a ball, her back against the wall, Aurora had felt the sacks above her head and dragged two over her bare and bruised body.

Not a drop of light filled the room. Aurora didn't move, hardly breathed. The pain was a fire that stretched everywhere. The wounds throbbing now, and Aurora wondered if they were infected. She didn't doubt it. At some point during Tamlin's... Actions, Aurora had blacked out. When she awoke, Tamlin was just closing the door, she watched his boots ascend the last step. She was grateful for the mercy her mind had given her. At least half of it was branded to her memory, but the rest was nothing but numb darkness.

The wood creaked above her head, and she went still. Was he coming back? How long had it been? The creaking ceased, and silence took over. Aurora stared into the abyss, wondering if Azriel's shadows watched her from the corner like they had last time. Did he know what happened to her? Was anyone on their way to save her? There was nothing she could do in here, not with the Faebane, not with these injures. Her throat felt raw, her breath ragged.

The wood began creaking again, and light shone in from the door as it opened. Tamlin's boots appeared. Aurora didn't move, didn't breathe.

"Some water, thought you might need it if I plan to keep you alive until your mate shows up. He's taking longer than I expected," Tamlin spoke, a jug of water being sat on the floor at the bottom of the stairs. Aurora just watched him, figuring she could find her way to it when he left. Tamlin bent again, and with the water was what looked to be a plate of meal scraps. The nearly finished bone of a chicken leg, a few pieces of vegetables, and an already-bitten piece of bread. Aurora felt an ache in her stomach. How long has it been since she's eaten? "Come get it," Tamlin grinned. Aurora shook her head though wasn't sure he could even tell.

He just motioned to the food and water again, and her stomach growled loudly. Would he take it away if she didn't go get it under his watch? Bile rose in her throat again, only stomach acid at this point. Her eyes shifted to his face, the way he grinned at her. He had done those things in the dark, the only dignity she had left was that her body had yet to be seen by him. The burlap sacks didn't do much to cover her, but in this position, it hid enough.

"Come get it or it's going in the trash," Tamlin snapped. Aurora flinched, stomach growling again. She would need her strength once they came for her, she'd need to help them fight. Aurora whimpered, fighting with her thoughts. She needed to lose the last sliver of herself to be able to get food and water. She closed her eyes and moved onto her stomach. Every part of her burned. Aurora bit down on her tongue as she rose to her hands and knees. There was no way she could stand, even just this was agonizing. She began to shuffle forward, gasping and collapsing the few feet she went.

Aurora lifted her eyes to see Tamlin still grinning, reaching down to grab the plate. With a cry, she rose again and tugged her way to the plate. She stretched out an arm, reaching for it as he began to take it. Her fingers slipped on the edge and the bits of food fell around her onto the ground. Tamlin laughed and climbed the stairs. Darkness consumed her again.

Somehow, even with the lack of water in her body, tears fell. She fell onto her stomach and felt around for the food. Her hand hit the bread and she quickly brought it to her mouth. She ate too quickly, but as far as she knew, she hadn't eaten in a week. Aurora continued to feel around until nothing was left and she had finished the remainder of the meal. The chicken bone was all that was left, but she knew his lips had touched that, and she refused.

Aurora pulled herself onto her elbows and held the water jug, drinking it down. Her stomach felt ill after she chugged the water halfway. Aurora realized she definitely needed to savor it, take sips only when necessary. She held the jug tightly and began crawling back to the far wall. She covered herself in the sacks again and wept.

—————————————————————————

Aurora didn't know how many days had passed, but Tamlin had abused her five more times. She had continued to get the scraps from their meals, but they were little to nothing. Her water had been empty for a while now, Tamlin hadn't brought anymore.

Aurora had chosen to chew on the wheat that was in the full sacks, hoping to get some nutrition. She hadn't been able to sit up yet, and every movement made her arm, back, and leg burn with agonizing pain. She was sure Tamlin had continued putting Faebane in the jug of water and in the leftover meals. It had been far too long for her not to heal or feel her power. There was no way she'd be able to gain enough strength to fight them. The infection would kill her faster than the scraps would give her stamina.

Lucien had not come down to the cellar once. She didn't want him to, but was curious why he hadn't come down for 'his turn', unless he had during the times she blacked out. She couldn't tell anymore. Everything hurt. Crashing sounds came from the distance in the estate. Aurora held her breath, wondering if Tamlin was in a rage. He had been once before, she heard those same sounds. Footsteps sounded and her eyes fell shut. He must be on his way to her, use his rage against her. The footsteps weren't as straight as they normally were, the creaking above her not sounding just yet. He must be in the dining room. 

Her breathing slowly returned, still ragged and sounds as if her lungs were full of stones. The footsteps and crashing continued, and she wondered if Lucien could be the victim of his rage this time. Aurora noted a throbbing in her lower back, the skin burning. Her wounds were certainly infected. She wondered how much longer she'd live down here. If she died, would Tamlin even move her body from the cellar or would she remain here for eternity?

The cold cement floor was a blessing to the burning flesh. She was sure the way she was shaking had to be from a fever. Aurora tried to straighten her leg and grunted in pain, teeth grinding together. The footsteps returned to her ears, and the creaking began. It was time again. Maybe this round would kill her. Maybe her mind would black out and never wake.

Light poured in from the opening door, and boots hit the stairs. Aurora squeezed her eyes, not wanting to see him before the light diminished.

"Aurora?" A male whispered, and her body went rigid. Aurora's eyes snapped open, blinking in the light. A silhouette stood before her, something hung in their hand. They kneeled, draping the item over her nude body. Had she put the sacks over her this last time? She couldn't remember now.

Her eyes began to focus as she looked up at the male, sharp features and violet eyes looking back at her. Aurora didn't move, but tears welled up in her eyes.

"Rhysand?"