Chapter 1: Samarthya

Samarthya woke up on the hospital floor. His body stiff and tired. A ward boy was the one to shake him awake.

Samarthya: Sorry...

He mumbled. He wanted to check on his grandfather. The visiting hours were yet to begin and he couldn't do much as it wasn't his hospital so he went to Manoj's doctor. Manoj was a huge name and thus, the hospital wanted to give him the best services. So, the doctors were staying available for him 24*7. The doctor told Samarthya that his grandfather was fine and probably ill due to stress or age.

Doctor: You are a doctor yourself so I will let you visit him. Please be careful. Rest, you know better...

Samarthya thanked the doctor and went his grandfather's ward. Tears welled up in his eyes as he saw him in that state- pale on the hospital bed. He got reminded of when he saw his parents in similar situation. The difference was that they weren't breathing. He sat on a stool near him and kept his head down.

Samarthya: Please be okay. I cannot lose you my old man.

He mumbled and let a few tears fall. Sometime later, he felt a little movement and rose to see his grandfather waking up.

Samarthya: Dadu?

Manoj: Sam? Beta? kaisa hai?

Samarthya: Yeh toh mujhe poochna chahiye... (wipes his eyes) Aap kaise ho? Mai doctor ko bula kr lata hoon...

Manoj: Ruk na ek second.... teri Dadi thik hai?

Samarthya: Haan, vo ghar hai..

Manoj: Tune hi bheja hoga. Accha kiya...

Samarthya: Aap itna movement mt karo, I'll call your doctor.

The doctor checks Manoj and says whatever happened was due to age. He prescribed a few tests and medicines before discharging him.

Doctor: Only because your grandson is a doctor but we will send a 24*7 nurse. Please refrain from travelling for a few days.

Manoj: But I have a meeting in Delhi...

Samarthya: Your health is most important.

Manoj: Arey beta...

Samarthya: Aapke behalf pr koi aur chala jayega or you attend online. (To doctor) Don't worry. I will take proper care of him.

Doctor: Great! I will arrange for the papers and advise security to handle the media.

Samarthya nodded. Soon, Manoj was bought home where Neelam was eagerly waiting.

Neelam: Dara diya tha apne mujhe...

Manoj held his ears. Neelam shook her head and made him sit. Samarthya sat on the steps where he could see them yet give them space. He was glad his grandfather was fine now but his mind went to the one who wasn't here- he did not know if she was fine or not. Was she okay?

...............

After dinner, Samarthya gave Manoj his medicines and rubbed his feet despite his protests. Manoj fell asleep and Samarthya returned to his room. He went near his window and looked at the moon. He thanked his stars for saving Manoj and wondered about Akshara. As he went to sleep, he could not resist and reached out for her picture. Amidst all the chaos, he did not realise that he was no longer in possession of his wallet.

He searched around but he knew it was useless. He had lost his wallet and surprisingly what hurt him the most was losing that picture. He closed his eyes and tried to surrender himself to sleep. It came, but not without dreams.

..............

A five year old Samarthya stood near the fish tank in his house when he heard his father come in.