𝟎𝟒. 𝐂𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐨𝐤𝐞𝐞 𝐑𝐨𝐬𝐞

Start from the beginning

The rest of Rick's people set up a camp near the house and start up the search for Sophia, the little girl who's been missing. Grace walks over to the group surrounding an old blue truck, a map laid out on it.

"How long has this girl been missing?" Grace asks curiously, taking a stance beside Rick.

"Just a few days," Rick replies and Grace lowers her head. She inches closer to Rick and he leans his head down.

"A few days? Before all of this, one day you're looking for a missing person and on day three you're looking for a body," Grace speaks quietly and Rick chews on his bottom lip, knowing that she's right.

"I know, but I was the one who was with her last. She's my responsibility," Rick points out, shame filling his eyes. Grace clears her throat and nods her head.

"I'm sure we'll find her," Grace tries to reassure him.

"Shane and I will take the east side of the woods. Maybe we'll find another farmhouse that she's hiding in," Andrea suggests with a hopeful tone. Shane clears his throat and nods his head.

"Anybody seen Daryl?" Shane asks, glancing around.

"I'll go see if I can find him," Grace quickly changes the subject and walks off to the fields.

Her eyes catch a glimpse of Daryl sitting down in the fields filled with Cherokee roses and a smile tugs on Grace's face.

"Hey, Daryl. The rest of the group is looking for you. They're about to head out to look for Sophia," Grace explains, taking a seat next to him. Daryl fiddles with a white flower in his left hand as the rest of the flowers flow in the gentle breeze.

"Yeah. I should start heading out," he mumbles out quietly, eyes locked onto the flower.

"It's a Cherokee Rose," Grace comments and Daryl lifts his gaze up from the ground and up to Grace.

"You know the story behind it?" Daryl asks, cocking his head towards Grace.

"Yeah, I do," she reassures him and a grin tugs on Daryl's face.

"It's for Carol. Think she'll like it?" Daryl asks, knitting his eyebrows together. He spins the stem of the flower around in his rough fingers and glances over at Grace.

"Yeah, that's sweet of you, Daryl," Grace nods her head. Daryl lets out a tiny scoff and shakes his head.

"Ain't nothing sweet about me," he says, leaping up onto his feet and leaving without another word. Grace lets out a tiny giggle and pushes herself up onto her feet. 

"I think you're wrong about that," Grace comments and Daryl shakes his head, a tiny grin tugging on his face.

She walks back to the farm watching as Glenn and Maggie ride back on their horses. Grace leans against the pole that's holding up the porch as Maggie walks back over. Maggie fiddles with her sweaty palms and Grace furrows her eyebrows.

"How'd the run go?" Grace asks with concern and Maggie gulps, pondering whether she should tell the truth.

"I had sex with Glenn," Maggie blurts out and Grace's body jolts.

"What?" Grace mumbles underneath her breath as the color drains from Maggie's face.

"I had sex with Glenn," Maggie admits, her voice full of shame. Grace's eyes snap over to Maggie and she tilts her head.

"No, I definitely heard you right the first time then. Oh my God, Maggie!" Grace breaks out into a loud laughter, throwing her head back. Maggie's cheeks turn a bit red and she bites on her bottom lip.

"Listen, it's a one time thing," Maggie scoffs out, burying her face in the palm of her hands, clearly ashamed of her actions. Grace's laughter slowly fades out and she places her hand on top of Maggie's shoulder.

"It's okay. Do you like him, Maggie?" Grace asks and Maggie tugs on her bottom lip with her front teeth.

"I-I'm not sure," she stumbles over her words, conflicting with her feelings. Grace giggles and shakes her head with amusement.

"And you had sex with him?" Grace asks, cocking an eyebrow, trying to suppress her laughter.

"I don't know what I was thinking," Maggie shrugs her shoulders, averting her gaze away from Grace.

"Well, I think you better figure out your feelings," Grace nudges Maggie's shoulder and she lowers her head, scoffing quietly.