prologue

JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA

2020

The whole family was waiting around my parent's kitchen counter waiting for my agent's call that could make or break my acting career. This is the biggest opportunity i've ever gotten after visiting America to appear in a film 3 years ago.

I auditioned for this role a few weeks ago and that i'll get my results today on whether I need to take a screen test so i made sure to get my phone ready for this call.

"If you could all quiet down for like a second so that we can hear the phone!" My mom yelled from behind me, holding a cake that says 'congratulations!'.

"Ma, we don't even know if I even have a role yet," i sighed, taking the cake from her hands and placing it on the counter. "But thank you for the cake, it looks amazing."

She just side-hugged me and leaned against the counter, just the way the rest of my close family was doing. The room got silent and my phone started to ring.

Melissa is calling...

I mouthed to my family that it's my agent and they all looked excited. I accepted the call and put it on speaker.

"Hey Mel, anything new?" I started. I heard some rustling noise from her side.

"Maddy, have you ever been to Los Angeles?" I stiffened and my family stared at me with smiles on their faces.

"uh no, it's only been Atlanta and New York." I say, hoping for the best.

I've only ever filmed my best work in my home country with bigger roles. I tried to make a name for myself before I attempt to get into the industry in America.

"Okay then, the flight ticket to LA is in your email right now because you need to do a screen test but you've basically got the role. Ryan and the crew loved your audition!" Melissa said happily through the phone. I could tell that my family wanted to scream because of the excitement but I wanted to end the call first.

"Oh my god Mel. That is amazing! Lemme go check the ticket and get everything ready but thank you so so much!" I smiled even though she couldn't see it.

"No problem! Call you later." She hung up and on cue, my family started jumping around and cheering. It quickly became a group hug and the tears started flowing down my face. Everyone let go after five minutes and some even brought gifts.

We got the cake out of the container and had a little party celebration before everyone left after a few hours.

My mom and stepdad had said goodbye to my aunt before they sat me down to talk.