4

Written: 11/14/22
Word Count: 2,904

Written: 11/14/22Word Count: 2,904

"I don't get it. Why do these 'intro and ending themes' matter so much? They take up so much time, and they're the same thing again and again."

Tonight's dinner was a type of goulash—about one of the only dishes I knew how to make. Yet, somehow, he'd made it better than when I'm at the top of my game.

Signs of Kakashi becoming used to my tiny apartment were scattered few and far between.

But if you knew where to look, you would notice the difference immediately.

One of the sweatshirts I bought for him folded over the arm of one end of the couch. Two mugs sitting ready before the ancient Keurig instead of one. The men's shampoo and conditioner brand sitting next to the women's in the shower.

"They're not all the same," I explain patiently, Hable and Sintar happily mewling in their box between our plates. "You just haven't gotten to the next one yet. The first opening in Naruto runs for the most number of episodes, while the ones at the very end of Shippuden run for a quarter of the time."

My elbows spread out on the table, my face always pulled toward it once this time of day approached. Though I always got sleepy, the past few days of Kakashi's camaraderie made me push past my body's limits. Yami would be proud.

Somehow, by forcing myself to stay awake for a longer period of time, I slept like a rock. Waking up fully refreshed may or may not have something to do with the spiky-headed man who refused to take off his mask even though he mostly wore the sweatshirts and baggy sweats I'd bought for him, making him look totally off and not like a terrifying Anbu at all.

"Why waste time on something so lame, anyway?"

As usual, Kakashi was the eternal pessimist when it came to the show depicting scenes of his home. He'd yet to make any remarks on whether he believed the story in the show was his future, but with each candid observation pointing out the show's weaknesses, I started to realize the man was trying to find its faults.

I wonder if I would also be quick to judge something thoroughly if I watched an animated version of my life tell a story about my not-so-distant future, showing me a world almost entirely different from the one I knew.

While the Hidden Leaf Village had been depicted alright, per Kakashi's unenthused admittance, the story taking off with Naruto and the kids as the centerpieces really messed with his mind.

I tried to imagine if I was forced to watch a show about Tenna's two tykes as school children, the world wholly different from what I immediately remember. The transition would be tough, to say the least. Now, add in the inter-dimensional travel and my world being portrayed within that world for entertainment purposes.

The experience would be...extremely off-putting.

"They're not a waste," I smile despite myself, spinning softened goulash noodles around in the creamy red sauce pooled on my plate. As always, Kakashi's food made the heart grow ever fonder.