Chapter Eleven

"Time for bed."I announced for the third time using the most authoritative voice I could muster.

"But Savannah..." Three whiny voices pleaded simultaneously.

"No buts, I've already extended your bed time three times. Don't make me call your dad."I threatened hating the thought of having to call Nathan and ruining his first night out in God knows how long.

I didn't know why the kids didn't want to go to sleep yet I could see three of them already battling with sleep. Clara was already asleep having passed out after our second round of playing shoots and ladders.

"Up up everyone."I demanded getting up.

They knew I meant business so everyone got up picking up their phones and tablets that had been ditched earlier in the night. I picked up Clara and made sure I was last in line we all headed upstairs.

"I'll come check in on everyone in ten minutes so make sure you brush your teeth and change into your pajamas, I'll be the one to turn your lights off."I demanded.

I carried Clara into her room and changed her into a purple pajama set with cartoon grapes on it. I didn't want to wake her to brush her teeth so I shrugged it off hoping it was okay for her to skip one night. I set her teddy bear next to her and tucked her in. I switched on her night light and switched off the over head light. I kissed her goodnight and left the door slightly open just as she liked it.

I checked up on Ivy next who was already in bed.

I didn't get in, just stood by the door since she was old enough to tuck herself in.

"Did you brush your teeth?"I asked her.

"Yes I did."She replied.

"Good, have a good night."I said but she stopped me just as I was about to switch off the lights.

"Savannah."

"Mmh."

"Can you maybe help me with my hair tomorrow like you do with Clara?"She asked me quietly looking incredibly nervous.

My heart melted onto the floor as I resisted the urge to cry.

"Of course sweetheart, any style you want."I replied.

Her smile light up the room and I was glad to be the reason for it.

"Thank you, goodnight Savannah."Ivy whispered.

"Goodnight."I replied shutting off the lights and closing the door.

I took a minute to compose myself after Ivy's request. I'd known the kids were in need of a mother's love but Ivy had just shown me how bad it was for them. Nathan was a great dad and did his best, Josephine had fulfilled the nanny, housekeeper and grandmother role perfectly but nothing could replace a mother's presence. I was good at the housekeeping part and being a nanny was easy since Nathan was there to deal with all the emotional parts but did I want to invest my feelings knowing I wasn't ready to be a mom. They needed a mother and unfortunately I didn't see myself as one or ready to be one. I would do my best as their nanny but ultimately them getting a mom depended on Nathan getting into a relationship. The thought of Nathan with another woman made my heart clench in pain but I couldn't dwell on that. He was my boss and our relationship had to remain strictly on employer and employee basis.

I took a deep breath, cleared my thoughts and checked up on Ethan next. He was already asleep so all I did was switch off the lights in his room and switch on the night light.

It felt weird checking up on Daniel and Luke since they were older so I just knocked on the doors to remind them to turn off their lights and go to sleep. I waited a couple of more minutes and after all the lights were off I went back downstairs. I cleaned the living room and carried all the dirty bowls into the kitchen.