Chapter Six

The boys had barely been back from school five minutes when they came back downstairs barrelling into the kitchen. Luke was still in his football uniform while Daniel's hair was all over the place as if he had been stuck by lighting.

"Boys calm down, what is it?"Josephine asked them looking up from the casserole she had been preparing.

"Did you do it?"Luke asked.

"Do what?"Josephine mumbled confused.

"She couldn't have, she barely manages it up the stairs nowadays."Daniel replied looking at his brother.

"You never know, she might have decided to surprise us."Luke suggested.

"Will one of you spit it out already? I'm running out of patience."Josephine demanded.

I hid my face behind the mug of hot coffee I was drinking amused by their whole conversation.

"Who cleaned our rooms?"Luke finally asked.

My eyes widened and I immediately put my mug down.

"Don't look at me, I didn't do it. There's no way I'd get into those pig stys you call rooms."Josephine said and they both simultaneously turned to look at me.

I raised my hands in surrender hoping I hadn't done something wrong. It's just that the state of their rooms had been horrendous and I had time so I took it upon myself to clean up.

"I'm sorry, I thought I was doing you a favor."I apologized.

"Are you kidding you did great? How did you get that stain off the carpet?"Luke asked.

"Vinegar and baking soda."I answered my face scrunched up in confusion wondering why they weren't angry.

Josephine had warned me that they didn't like someone going into their rooms but I couldn't rest easy knowing how dirty their rooms were.

"That's so cool, thanks Savannah."Luke expressed.

"You're welcome."I replied putting my hands down.

"Yeah thank you. Where did you put my uh.... stuff?"Daniel asked with a wink making me laugh.

"In a shoe box under your bed."I replied recalling the dirty magazines I'd found all over his room.

Luke had plenty too and in a way I was relieved to know they were both normal teenage boys who hid magazines like those from their dad. I had found more disgusting things but after working in the laundry room in prison there wasn't a stain I didn't know how to clean or anything that disgusted me. I'd cleaned the other kids rooms too but they weren't as bad as those two. The only room I was yet to enter was the master bedroom.

"Thank you and for that I forgive you for moving into my man cave."Daniel informed me.

Daniel had been pretty pissed when he discovered I had moved into the basement. Apparently he had been requesting Nathan for permission to move there but Nathan kept saying no. If I'd known it was such a sensitive issue I would have picked another room. I even offered to switch rooms but Josephine refused. I thought that I'd surely damaged my relationship with Daniel and ruined any chances of him ever liking me until now.

"I'm glad we're square."I said smiling at Daniel.

"You aren't so bad miss Savannah, thanks again." Luke added.

"You're welcome guys."I replied with a smile feeling proud of myself.

"Just don't get used to it, she worked really hard guys, don't make her efforts go to waste and actually try to keep your rooms clean." Josephine demanded.