Revelations

The next Thursday my Father packed his bags again and he and his 'friends' left for what he said was going to be a few days. Once they were gone I guiltily celebrated by spending all night out as Morning Star helping people with the smallest of problems. The next day when I went patrolling Steve found me on a rooftop and we talked for a little bit, just watching the world go by beneath us. It was a pleasant sort of chaos, the kind that made you feel excited and not just scared. It was a bittersweet kind of freedom that only comes with the knowledge of impermanence.

I moved my stash of gear and my suit to a hiding spot a mile away from my house. I shoved it in a trash bag and hid it in a second-story vent of a highrise.

My Father and his friends returned from their exclusion late Sunday night, all of them looking bloody but cheerful. Something I didn't usually like to think about.

The next training day Dr. Cho gave me a full check-up supposedly to make sure everything had healed right, but she was more likely looking for anything that wasn't healed anymore, which felt slightly violating, but I tolerated it.

Throughout the whole training session, everyone treated me like a shard of glass, ragged and fragile.

During the now regular dinner, I had with the Avengers Tony brought up the topic of the two superpowered terrorists that seemed to be ravaging New York nowadays. "...This guy's got a sidekick too, another suped-up chick, who seems to be doing his less intensive work. The media's calling them the Harbingers of Death-."

"-Just so we're clear here," Natasha butted in, pointing her fork at me. "We've got this one covered, kid. So stay away from these guys, they are both incredibly dangerous."

I nodded, my throat too dry to speak. No problem, easy peasy. All I'll need to do is throw myself off the nearest high-rise and then I'll be free of those two for good.

"Hill mentioned something big's gonna happen between them and our resident kingpin over here." Tony adds. The breath in my lung froze.

Natasha threw her hands in the air. "Do you even know what classified means?!?"

"What?" Tony protests. "Kira's trustworthy."

My thoughts snagged on his last word. Trustworthy. Naive My Father's voice hissed, Naive and manipulative.

"...Kira?"

I snapped around, shoving a hand off my shoulder. "What?!"

Bucky took a step back. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine, I was uh- lost in thought."

"See it was all irrelevant. She wasn't even listening." Tony appeased Natasha, who was eyeing me suspiciously. I resisted the urge to shrink under her gaze.

"Can I use the bathroom?" I ask, suddenly needing more space.

"Yeah, it's two doors down on the right," Clint gestured down the hallway.

The bathroom wasn't as isolated as I would have liked. I could still hear the team through the walls.

"It's normal for teenagers to do that, right?" Tony asked.

I leaned over the porcelain sink.

"Ask Barton, he's the only one with child experience."

Blood pounded in my ears.

"Wait-where'd he go?"

"Did Hill really say something about the Harbingers and Kingpin fighting?"

I squeezed my eyes shut and gritted my teeth. Breathe, just one breath.