Karma or bad luck?

The numbness was the scariest thing for me. The feeling that nothing was real, but knowing everything was. I hated how easy and at the same time difficult it was for the world to blur with tunnel vision, peoples faces would morph into nondescript mannequins, targets, no longer living, just not yet dead. And then the blood would splatter the lense of my life, the red that always was there to remind me that once it first appears, it stays for the rest of your life.

"Faster!"

I couldn't. I was already moving as fast as I could to block his attacks. My defence was failing and he could feel it. He pressed his attack, even harsher. I dug into my sixth sense not even seeing the attacks before evading.

I barely dodged his left hook, but as I swayed his steel toed boot slammed into my now unprotected left side. I gasped and bit my tongue. I could feel my ribs grind as I hit the concrete.

Crap.

"Get up." He growled. For a brief minute I couldn't. My muscles seized up and didn't respond. I needed a moment to let my shaking muscles relax and recouperate. But the second boot to my ribs didn't give me that option.

I climbed to my feet trying not to wince with the grinding of my rigs.

My fathers one green eye glinted with barely bridled rage. "You are sloppy. Useless! You act like this is pointless, like no one cared to teach you how to properly use the gift I gave you." Well, I wouldn't call it a gift, but he had certainly given it to me. He continued to rant pacing around me.

"But I cared! I cared to give you the time and discipline you needed to be better! I gave you the opportunity to actually live! But this..." he flailed his arms in my direction. "This! Is disrespectful! After all I do for you and you can't even properly accept what I have given to you.'' His voice dropped. "You are weak and lazy, so I will again try and teach you how to not feel pain. How to not be weak, Kira. (Pronounced; Keer-ah)"

I didn't need to know what he was saying to know what was coming.

No no no please not again.

I clenched my fists hoping he wouldn't notice just how much they were shaking. I couldn't force myself to take a breath. All I could do was wait for the inevitable. I closed my eyes and waited for my warning.

Before my father had even finished speaking my adrenaline spiked and I jumped backwards following my blind instincts as the first punch fell on my right shoulder.

I just wanted one day to not feel this. That's all I wanted.

Soon after the first punch came he bocked me into a corner. I felt like a rabbit caught in a winter trap with no way out just waiting for the day when the end came.

His boot slammed me into the wall followed by his fist hitting my jaw sending me to my hands and knees. After that the blows were too quick to calculate or count. I couldn't even tell if they were kicks or punches.

The blood stains beneath me blurred, all I could feel was a vibrant pain coming from everywhere and nowhere, but as colors faded so did the pain. Somewhere along the line a darkness began to cradle me singing me a soft lullaby of peace, I reached for it and let myself slide into its cool inky nothingness.

Something was screaming, but I couldn't tell what. My eyes wouldn't open, all I could feel was cold and wet. And pain. Every breath felt like a branding iron was being shoved into my lungs. I knew that feeling, it was the feeling of broken ribs.