Dark Woods Hope

Aim to Engage Prompt from @highfantasy, November 2022: "A hunter discovers a mythical creature deep within the woods, and to their surprise, the animal doesn't attack them. Instead, it comes with a message. What happens next?"

Story word count = 496

Grief swept the realm on news of the king's murder, along with family. The king's estranged brother blamed Elfin magic and promised retribution, thus shattering the peace the king earlier secured.

The future weighed heavy on my heart, but I also had more immediate concerns. We were poor and food was short, so I took up my hunting bow, leaving my wife and baby son behind in our humble cottage.

Scarcity of game took me deeper into the dark woods where all manner of fierce creature roamed. But what other choice?

The forest was a capricious place, at one time soothing, the next terrifying, life and death. Colored evening light filtered through the sprawling boughs, flickering with the breeze. Soon, darkness will overtake.

I froze, notching an arrow as a faint rustle caught my ear. What could it be? A fat deer would be welcomed. It drew closer, but when the other forest sounds quieted, a shiver traced my spine.

The beast crashed through the brush, and before I could draw my bow, knocked it away with a mighty swipe. Towering over me, the orc huffed foul breath as my heart pounded.

A head taller than me with a massive girth, the orc stood on two legs, but was more animal than elfin. Wrinkled gray pallor, twin tusks emerging from a snarling maw, and glaring hell-red eyes completed the monstrous appearance. Strangely, it did not attack. Rather, it reached into a worn leather satchel and placed a wriggling, fur-wrapped bundle in my arms.

As I peeled back the covering, small eyes peered back. The baby girl, about the same age as my new son, waved tiny arms and let out a whimper that melted my heart.

Wrinkling my forehead, I muttered, "What be this?"

"Hope for the future," a voice replied. An elf with sharp pointed ears, alabaster skin, and a sword at his side emerged from the darkness. A shimmering werelight lifted from his hand, casting warm illumination upon us. "She is the king's daughter and sole heir."

"How...?" I stammered. But on seeing the baby's violet eyes, the mark of the king's line, I knew the truth of his words. Tingling jolts raced down my spine.

"The true murderer be the king's brother — this we know — and he believes this little one also dead. Dark is his heart with power-lust, and he would drench our lands in blood, elfin and human alike. War comes."

"Why give her to me?"

"You are honorable, woodsman, and your woman nurses another."

I gasped. How did he know?

"Protect and raise her well. Teach her the ways of heart and honor." He tossed me a purse heavy with coin. "We shall watch until time be right for her to claim the throne." With that, elf and orc fled into the dark.

My heart broke for this innocent orphan. I cuddled her, whispering, "We shall care for you, little one. And your name shall be what you offer — Hope."