"Poor Charlotte," Ella commiserated by covering her hand with her mouth. How could her sensible friend put up with such an idiot? "

"She is bringing him to the party at the Netherfield."

"What? Has Charlotte flipped her mind," Ella shouted.

"I think she feels bad for him as no one wants to spend time with him."

"Do you blame us? He is eaten up with ego and self-importance."

"He does need to loosen a bit and go easy on his compliments." Jane suppressed her laughter but failed. "Anyways, how is the prep going for the ball?"

"The ballroom is breathtaking. I am using silver drapes for the French windows that line one side of the room, overlooking the garden, the antiquated bridge and the Roman folly. To set the mood further, Damon and I are going with mirrors and artificial candles of all shapes and sizes in white," Ella raved about the interior décor. "I can't for the next weekend. My boss is so happy to have Chambers as a client. I expect a fat bonus this year."

Jane raised her hand for a high-five. She was thrilled for her sister.

As the week wore on, Ella met up with Wickham once more. He took her to the movies and indulged her more about the Darcys and their unjustified snobbery. Her dislike for the family had bloomed into full-fledged loathing at this point.

After another fiery kiss and a bike ride with Wickham, Ella wondered if she should take things further with him. She wasn't looking for a romance, maybe something to remember him before he went back home.

She had been right about Wickham getting along well with others. They ran into Lydia, Kitty and Mary at a mall, and it delighted her how good of a sport he was about watching a rom-com with them. Things moved fast when Lydia extended an impromptu dinner invite to Wickham; thus, both her parents got to meet him. That very night, she introduced him to Jane when she had almost walked in on them going down and heavy in each other's embrace in their brownstone's living room.

The action-packed week barely left Ella to think about anything else, and she soon stood in the ballroom in a white dress with a spaghetti strap and a fancy updo to highlight the low backline, waiting for Wickham. Tonight, Damon was in complete charge of things.

She wanted to enjoy the night and didn't want the hassle of the last-minute issues. Her assistant would smooth any wrinkles at tonight's event while she danced her heart out with her handsome date.

When the guests started to arrive, Ella gave herself a good look in the near cheval mirror. She looked stunning. A part of her hoped that Wickham liked how she looked tonight, all dolled-up and glamourous.

As she exited the ballroom to where the Chambers stood to greet the guest, someone caught her eyes, making her stop in her mid-step.

It was William. He looked divinely hot in his tuxedo.

Her heart pounded against her chest as her throat became parched.

Ella swallowed hard.

His gaze dipped over the length of her and climbed again. This time it clung to hers. Those eyes smouldered and stoked something in her belly.

"Hi," he managed. "You looked beautiful."

"You cleaned up nice." Ella gave him a begrudging smile.

He didn't say anything, and an awkward silence fell between them.

She opened her mouth, but he started to say something at the same time.

"You go first." She gave a self-deprecating laugh.