𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝙵𝙾𝚁𝚃𝚈-𝙽𝙸𝙽𝙴

Start from the beginning

"In verses one and two, Paul says, 'I had to talk as though you belonged to this world or as though you were infants in Christ. I had to feed you with milk, not with solid food, because you weren't ready for anything stronger.' And then, this dude got the nerve to add the cherry on top by saying, 'And you still aren't ready.' Ain't that something."

The congregation chuckles at Julian's words. "But here's the thing: Paul says he had to treat them like babies because that's what they're acting like when in reality, these are followers that aren't new in faith. They're not still learning what the Good News is, they know what it is. They're not still learning about the Ten Commandments, they know what they are. And yet, they were not acting like it. Their sinful lifestyles and ignorance were stunting their growth.

"Verse three tells them why: 'For you are still controlled by your sinful nature. You are jealous of one another and quarrel with each other. Doesn't that prove you are controlled by your sinful nature? Aren't you living like people of the world?' That's how Paul breaks it down. What I got from this, and I'm putting a modern twist on it, is Paul is saying 'It's too late in the game to be acting like this, get your head out your tail. How can you claim you're a child of God when you're still purposely sinning?'

He takes a moment to laugh with the other people before he continues. "Verse six says Paul and another servant of God, Apollos, planted that seed of wisdom in the Corinthians' hearts. They're taking credit for giving them the Good News, but they're not taking credit for the effect it has on them. It says, 'It was God who made it grow.' But let me ask y'all something: how can God make that seed grow if you're too busy sinning?"

There are nods in agreement throughout the church. Julian continues. "How can God make that seed in your heart grow if you are still fighting with your enemies? How can God make that seed in your heart grow if you are still holding on to that grudge? How can God make that seed in your heart grow if you are still filling it with your sins?

"I have another question. How long are you going to make God wait for you to stop sinning? Y'all know we're in the end times, Luke 13:25, y'all know there isn't much time before that door closes. So how long are you going to make your Lord and Savior wait for you to stop stalling?

"I'm not perfect. In fact, I have trouble with patience and I'm sure a lot of you do too. But can you imagine God, whose patience is plentiful, running out on you? Because of you? The last verse in today's message, verse seven, says it perfectly: 'It's not important who does the planting, or who does the watering. What's important is that God makes the seed grow.' And so I ask again: how can God make that seed grow if you're too busy sinning?"

After going further in depth in his sermon, Julian starts to wrap it up, seeing the digital clock tick down its final minutes. Everyone understood well, and there were those who were rededicating their lives and surrendering everything to the Lord, which is always Julian's ultimate goal.

In the last moments, when everyone is back together, he prays out the whole church. "In Jesus' name," he concludes, and the whole church joins him in saying "Amen."

He looks at the congregation gathering their stuff and his eyes land on Celai. She's paying him no attention, but Julian's heart beats a little harder in his chest, and he nearly feels his blood run cold.

He doesn't hear a word that was said but he knows that it's time.

Julian quickly grabs the mic back. "You can leave if you're in a hurry, but I just wanted to give you all a personal example of a seed that's been planted for me, since God has just placed it on my heart to share." He clears his throat and looks at Celai. "My lily, can you come up here for a moment?"

Celai furrows her eyebrows but egged on by her parents and Wes, she walks cautiously up the church stage stairs.

"What are you doing?" she whispers, visually nervous and uncomfortable.

"Relax," Julian chuckles, though he isn't able to if his life depended on it. He takes a deep, shaky breath. "For a long time, I've been asking God for the same thing and it's been quiet. I was in a period of healing... until recently. I, uh..." He pulls out the ring box from his pocket and the church practically gasps together. "I impulsively bought my girlfriend an engagement ring and God was not happy so He made me wait, and wait, and wait."

Julian turns from the crowd and looks at Celai. Her eyes are darting between him and the small box and her entire body is paralyzed with shock. "He made me wait until now. Celai, when I look at you, I can't help but to, uh," He drops to one knee and opens the box, revealing her shimmering ring that had been waiting to be worn on her finger. "I can't help but to ask you to marry me."

Celai covers her mouth with her hand and Julian thinks he can hear her gasp but the church starts getting too loud. Brian takes the initiative to quiet everyone down and Julian is more than grateful.

"Like I said, God made me wait a year to do this, but I'm so in love with you that I wouldn't mind waiting another. I've asked God if we could be one flesh and He's left the answer to you. So, Celai Marie LaCroix, will you marry me?"

Tears roll down her cheeks as she nods her head. "Yes!" she says, followed by the church cheering so loud, she can't say anything else.

Julian quickly slides the ring on her finger and hugs her tightly. God had answered another prayer of his and He had yet to fail.

Julian pulls away and kisses Celai, whose tears are still falling. "Did you plan this?" she asks him.

"Not at all. All of it was God's timing."

"It couldn't have been more perfect," she gushes before going in for another hug and kiss. "Thank you," she says quietly in his ear, followed by her squealing in it and pulling away. She extends her arm. "This ring is perfect!"

"Let me see!" Sabrina, Kassima, and Nyomi all say at once. Julian watches her show off her ring and a big smile stretches on his face as he steps off the stage.

He goes straight to Mama Ruth and helps her to her feet. She's crying as well and Julian wipes her tears. "I'm getting married, Mama."