𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝙵𝙾𝚄𝚁𝚃𝙴𝙴𝙽

J U L I A N   W E S T B R O O K

"Boy, would you get out my pantry?" Julian's grandmother, Mama Ruth, says as she hits him lightly on the back.

Julian closes the door and shrugs. "Ain't nothing good in there anyway."

"How about you eat some real food instead of eating snacks?" she says with her arms folded.

"I have plans later, so I can't," he says, grabbing a bottle of water. He slides on the counter, sitting across from Mama Ruth. "So, what's up? I've been here for half an hour and you still haven't told me why you wanted to talk to me."

Mama Ruth waves him off, going back on what she previously said. "Oh, don't worry about that, it doesn't matter. You said you have plans, you might as well get going," she says, though Julian doesn't believe her. He knows her like the back of his hand.

"Nah, Mama, what you have to say is more important, go ahead," he says, taking a sip of his water.

"Fineee." She sighs hard. "I need you to check up on your sister. I don't think she's doing that well."

"In what way? With her addiction?"

Mama Ruth nods her head sadly. "Every time I talk to her on the phone, she's either on her way to an AA meeting or she's coming from one. I think she's gone to more meetings this month alone than last year completely."

"Isn't it a good thing she's going to her meetings? It means she's refusing to let her temptation control her," Julian says.

"Jules, baby, the reason she keeps going is cus the enemy is constantly attacking her and she can't fight it with her mind alone like she used to. I know you don't like me bringing it up but I've seen this too many times with your mother."

Julian clenches his jaw at her words. "This is different though, Mama. Nyomi knows she has God and she has a husband that's gonna hold her accountable. I talked to Treyvon a couple days ago and he said she was fine."

"They've been trying for a baby for about a year now and I think that's what's bothering her so much. She wants to start a family so bad but God and I both know she's too young. Getting married at nineteen is one thing, but a baby is a lot different. She needs to focus on her career."

"I hear you, Ma." Julian surrenders. "I'll talk to her, but I think she'll be alright."

"You really think so?"

"Yeah. They may look alike, but you can't compare Nyomi to Mom when it comes to this. This could be a breakthrough for her, y'know?"

A smirk takes over Mama Ruth's lips. "What girl has you wrapped around her finger for you to be so calm and collected?"

Julian laughs softly, his mind playing a reel of his time with Celai. "Who told you about her?"

"Sabrina told me a little bit about her when we had our Sunday dinner. Between you and I, I think she's been stalking her. Don't tell her I said that though."

"What makes you think that? I never told Brina her name."

"Boy you know good and well she is a cybersecurity whiz who has nothing better to do since she's carrying that baby."