𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝙵𝙾𝚁𝚃𝚈-𝚃𝚆𝙾

C E L A I L a C R O I X

Celai pulls into Jayelle's driveway, ready to face everything that will soon transpire. Today is Jayelle's mother's birthday. Jayelle did well with her emotions last year, but today is the fifth time her mother has missed her birthday.

Celai knows she's in for a grief-filled day from a mile away.

She gets out of her car and spots the black Charger parked on the side of the street. That car belongs to only one person. Celai sighs softly and whispers, "God, give me the strength."

She goes up to the door and rings the doorbell. Not to her surprise, Jayelle's big brother and Celai's ex, Joyner, opens the door. She keeps her composure but she can admit that he looks a lot different than what he did when they were in college. He finally grew out his beard and his long locs were cascading down his back instead of them being in a tight high bun like they used to be. And his voice?

"Hey, beautiful. You here to check on Jayelle?" he smiles, teeth white as ever.

Meh. Celai isn't affected by it like she used to be. He looks good, but he just doesn't catch her eye. Not anymore.

Celai nods her head at his question and he steps aside to let her in. She walks inside Jayelle's home, ignoring Joyner's eyes scanning her body.

She almost says, "Yes, I'm not the same skinny eighteen-year-old you used to know," but she knows better. Instead, she smiles at Tyler, who's eating pizza on the couch. His eyes are glued to the cartoon movie that's on the TV.

"Hey, Ty," she says, sitting by him.

"Hi, Cece. Aunt Jaye was asking about you earlier," he tells her.

"Really? Where is she?"

He tilts his head up as he thinks. "I think she's sleeping in her room."

"Well, let's make a deal: if you can be extra good for Aunt Jaye, I'll buy you three of your favorite desserts."

His eyes widen. "Brookie!" he yells.

"Ty, what did I just say?" Celai chuckles. "You gotta be good."

"Sorry," he whispers. He looks at Joyner. "Ima get a brookie if I'm good," he brags.

"What's that?"

Tyler looks at him like he offended him. "A brownie cookie. Duh."

Celai smiles and gets up to go back to Jayelle's room, leaving Joyner and Tyler to talk. She knocks on her door before she lets herself in. Jayelle is turned away from her on her bed and it's pitch dark other than the light Celai let in.

"Hey. How are you doing?" she asks softly, though she thinks that's a stupid question.

"I'm good, I just need the day," she responds, obviously lying. "It's been five years, Celai. It still feels like yesterday she was hit by that drunk driver."

A lump forms in Celai's throat as she thinks back to that night. They were supposed to be spending the night studying in their dorm but instead Celai spent the night trying to calm Jayelle down, who had become hysterical from one phone call.