3. Learning

3103 Words

    For the next week or so I learned a lot. My teddybear Blacky (short for Black Dimond do to her eyes) stayed with me wherever I went. When I would eat at the table, she would sit there watching me until I was done. When I got a bath, she would wait on the counter in the bathroom so she wouldn't get wet. When I slept, we would hold each other all night long. She was a part of me just like my tail was. I would talk to her, and she would, in my head at least, talk back.

    Morpheus would talk to both of us like we were both people. He said that if I felt and talked to her like she was real, then he would too. I started to notice something strange that he would do. He would sometimes talk to Blacky instead of me. As we were watching a movie one night he said. "You know Blacky, I think your friend here might want to start learning stuff about the world he's living in. Do you think you could convince him to let me teach him? I know I'm not the best teacher, but I'm willing to try." Then he just went back to the movie like nothing happened. But it did get me thinking about what was outside these walls we were staying in. That was after I only had Blacky for 2 days.

    The next morning I talked to Morph, sorta. He had just woken me up and was changing me when I said. "Morph? I... you...teaching pees?" I sorta hid behind Blacky after that. But he understood what I was trying to say. He told me it would be hard and when I needed a brake to let him know. But he was willing to teach me what I would need to know.

    After the first couple of days I was talking better. We would take brakes for lunch and he tried to get me to take a nap in the afternoon. But that never worked out. I was to interested in what there was to learn. I could now read and the books he had were odd ones. But that just made it more interesting to me. I was still really slow and needed help on some of the words, but I was learning fast. When I got here I could only count to 21. But now, with the trick he showed me, the sky's the limit.

    I can do math too. Addition and subtraction is easy for me. That only took a couple of minutes to catch on to. Multiplying and devising was a little harder, but I get how to do it. The stuff that he is showing me now is a lot harder. But I'm loving all of it.

    After I was done with the first book I read he told me that he wanted me to write a report on it. He had to explain what that was and how to do it. But when he handed me a keyboard and showed me how to use it, I got right to work. I now get to use an iPad for all my work he has me do. I have homework to do when I'm not reading about everything. I asked him why he called it homework when we are at home already. And why would he call it work when it's so fun? I thought it should be called play time, but he didn't agree. He actually chuckled at me. I didn't take offense to it, he just knew more then I did.   

    After that first book report was done and he read it, I was told that he wouldn't be having me do anymore. From then on we talked about the books I read. We got in to what he called "debates" about stuff in the books. It felt more like arguing to me, but he called it a debate.

    The only real problem I had was my writing skills. I was getting better, but all me letters didn't look right even to me. He said that it might be because I was right handed and that arm was still in a cast. But he did say that my typing shills were really good. I was only using my left hand for that. But he said that over 100 words a minute was "impressive". That made me real good all day. He thought I was doing really good with all my "work" play time.

    It was the 14th day of me being there when he took me to another room in this place. He said that he needed to check on my arm. I was getting my cast off, but I still would need his help for a while. That arm was going to be real weak and I shouldn't use it that much. He also said that I might feel some pain in it for a while. And if I did, I was supposed to tell him right away.