8. Union Allies

The news of the murder of Daniel Fisher from Union Allied Construction flew so fast that it was the first thing Hailey told you when you stepped through the main door on a Monday morning. And what surprised you the most was that Nelson and Murdock took the case. To defend a killer. Or so it seemed. 

Returning to your office, you did what you never thought you'd do - called Murdock. He answered after the third beep, and you felt goosebumps go down your spine, when his voice reached your ears. But of course, you blamed it on the open window that the cleaning lady left thoughout the night.

"Hello?"

"Morning, Murdock."

"Morning, Miss y/l/n. What a surprise to hear you." Matt smiles, leaving the room, upon feeling the stupid smirk appear on Foggy's face. 

"This is career suicide." You sigh loudly, tapping your pen on the piece of paper, where you've written everything that is known about the case to your firm. In the last five minutes.

"Sorry, I'm not following."

"You're following perfectly. That case you just took, it's gonna destroy your and Foggy's careers."

Matt falls silent for a moment, why all of a sudden you cared so much about them? "Are you and Foggy on the first name basis already?" He ridicules instead.

"Murdock. Friendly advice - drop the case. You're gonna get yourself involved in bigger problems than you already have." You close your eyes for a moment, hearing how Matt inhales sharply.

"Thank you, for that, but we're good. I have to go now, goodbye, y/n." Matt manages to end the phone call, and leans back on the counter, his head loudly bangs against the upper cupboard.

"Are you alright, buddy?" Foggy shouts upon hearing the noise.

You curse yourself loudly, why the hell did you even call him? Maybe Foggy chatted off your ear on Saturday, when he kept telling you stories about how they both worked at Landman and Zack, and then he sort of stuck to you. And Foggy was too good of a lawyer to get wasted on such case.
Or maybe you just wanted to see them again in court. Sally's case was an easy win, and you were glad that you had a chance to see how competent Foggy was in court, when he was not sitting in a blind man's shadow. Yet Matt's persona managed to bother you everywhere you went.

"Yeah, yeah." Matt shouts back, rubbing his chest when sharp pain stings again. Apparently this meant that his ribs haven't healed yet. Claire did say that it may take weeks, months even, but he knew that he had a different healing factory. Or, at least, he felt like that. 

Foggy steps into the kitchen, almost catching Matt with a grimace of a sick man, although on Saturday they went out for drinks, and Foggy noticed how unwell Matt looked. "Y/n called?"

"Uh, yeah."

"What did she want? Hopefully go out with me again." Foggy smirks, remembering how you both had a nice time at the exhibition, although the paintings were pretty lame.

"No, nothing like that." Matt grips the edge of the counter, "she gave us a piece of advice... To drop the case."

"The Karen one?"

"Yeah." Matt huffs a laugh and then crosses his arms a little too tight, because his chest stings again.

"Why? Is she taking it? But all the firms are distancing themselves as much as they can-"

"No. She told me that it's career suicide. And that we're gonna face bigger problems later."

"Oh." Foggy blurts out. "Maybe she's right, Matty." Matt quickly turns to look at Foggy, as if he could not believe what his best friend just said. "The firm does look shady, we don't know who's behind it, maybe we will make some cartel our enemies. I don't want that."