3. Start Of Something Better... or Worse?

Return to the office felt like the first day again.
Hogarth, Chao and Benowitz greeted you with the same coldness as it always did. You were used to it already. A couple of years of working here sort of hardened and turned you into another walking machine at this office.

Hogarth was your mentor from the beginning. She saw your potential and gave another chance, after you lost two cases at the beginning of your career. Then she gave another chance after you lost another two cases to Murdock. That rookie, as Hogarth called him. You felt respect toward all the lawyers you knew, but sometimes Hogarth's businesses made you question her sanity. And herself. But she was a good mentor, tough but good.

Often you saw Jessica Jones lurking around the firm, but never really questioned anyone about her business. Or her and Hogarth's business for that matter. Although you knew one thing - she was a private eye.
And a private eye was hired on your case.
Dots have finally connected inside your head, although a bit too late.

A pat on your shoulder brings you back into the office, where you find yourself standing in front of the open elevator. You turn and see no one other than Benowitz standing near you.

"Waiting for another, or?" He huffs a laugh, taking off his hand from your shoulder and gesturing for you to go inside.

"Oh, Mr Benowitz, a pleasure to see you again, after such a long time." You step inside and push the button "7", the door closes, and you go up.

"Yes, yes, pleasure's all mine, Miss Y/l/n, it's been a busy month to say the least, I'm sure yours too." He fixes his jacket, looking at you briefly. "Heard you won the case. So the streak is broken?"

"The streak of me losing against Murdock? Yeah, over." You force a laugh, feeling a bit awkward with technically your boss. Co-owner of the company, but still your boss.

"Glad to hear. It's good for the business. Can't let those small wannabes step on our heads." He lifts his chin up, a sign of authority.

"Although Nelson and Murdock is a smaller company, office even, they have lots of potential. Gotta say, Murdock is great in interrogation." You answer, feeling the need to defend your opponents. Blush colours your cheeks, and Benowitz raises an eyebrow, studying you for a moment.

"Yes, could be. Maybe. Never had a chance to go against him, but after such flattery from you, I'm sure he would be a worthy opponent. And a good one to destroy for that matter." He clears his throat loudly and fixes his tie, setting it so tight that his head pops out a little. The elevator stops and finally the doors open, saving you from further embarrassment.

You both step out, he goes into the direction of Hogarth's office, you - toward your own. "It was a pleasant meeting, Mr Benowitz." You call as he almost reaches the right turn, and waves his hand at your words.
"Dick." You say under your breath, and somewhere on the nearby rooftop, Matt Murdock huffs a laugh, feeling a lot at the same time - gratitude, anger and competition.

Yes, he did follow you to the office. Yes, he felt guilty about it, but the curiosity got the best of him. Matt needed to know if you were going to do something about the case or just carried on with your life as if nothing happened. If the latter was your choice, he would have to help Darcy himself. In the mask. Matt leans on the wall and sits down, feeling weary from the last night's running and today's banter in the court. After all, you were a hard nut to crack.

You unlock your office and drop the bag on the table, plopping on the chair and exhaling loudly. Turning on your computer, you go straight to the system and search for Jessica Jones. Minutes of scrolling result in nothing - Jessica's cases are private. Maybe you'll have to pay her a visit, but from the looks of her, she didn't like unexpected guests.
You debate on calling Murdock or Nelson, but as it was Matt's idea, you settle on calling him.