{Chapter 13}

I was terrified, all of my previous knowledge flying out of my brain and into... somewhere else that I can't think of because, like I said, I'm way too scared to be rational or logical.

Okay, so it's a brown bear... a grizzly, I thought. What are we supposed to do again?

"I'm scared, Skylar," Jack whimpered, holding on really tight to my wrist. I don't want to die with Jack's strong grip on my arm — and yeah, his grasp is stronger than Dylan's.

I'm not going to stop bringing that up — well, I suppose I have no choice but to stop since I'm about to be dead, than I can't but—

Wait a damn minute!

How to bypass a grizzly.... something about the word dead.

My mind is blank.

"Does anyone have any honey?" Tyler whispered, his eyes unmoving.

"No," Lucas said in a surprisingly calm voice. But than again, he only said one word, so it must've been easier to not showcase the fear that we are so obviously feeling.

I personally don't think that it's very fair that I'm the closest to the grizzly bear. Well, Jack's only a centimeter behind me, his hand still on my arm, but the others were behind us.

And Blake must've realized too.

"Hey, why don't we just run and leave those two?" he whispered loudly — yep, it's a thing. He's a terrible whisperer. "Than our problems will be solved. Honestly, we should thank this bear!"

Tears streamed down Jack's face, his lips quivering.

"H-Hey.... just kidding, don't cry," Blake said awkwardly.

"We have bigger problems than crying children," Lucas said, scoffing. Okay, he still doesn't sound to scared.

My eyes widened, as I dropped to the ground, pulling jack with me. I closed my eyes firmly, even though dead people have opened eyes, but how's the bear gonna know? Besides, it's going to notice if my eyes are freaking opening and closing.

"Play dead," I whispered loud enough for everyone to hear me.

I wasn't sure if everyone was listening, but I heard a couple of thuds as — hopefully live bodies — hit the ground, and I hope that Jack has his eyes closed, because he blinks way too much.

I heard shuffling and sniffing, which more likely than not came from the bear.

I tensed up.

It felt like an eternity, before I heard twigs crunching and animal foot steps retreating.

"Hey, Four Eyes, you can open your eyes now."

It doesn't take a genius to figure out who said that. I sighed, doing what he said, and the bear was no longer in sight. I sat up, Jack having all ready did so, sitting next to me. Oh god, why the fuck is he still crying? We're alive.

Lucas, Blake and Tyler seems perfectly fine after the close encounter, if only a little shaken up.

Jack, on the other hand, threw his arms around me. "I thought I was going to die!" he sobbed.

"Yes... I'm aware," I said awkwardly, "I was there."

"We should probably head back," Lucas said, causing Jack to end the hug — which I was immensely thankful for.

I nodded, standing up. Without permission, Jack used my hand to hoise himself up.

"Okay, let's go before that bear comes back," Blake said.

"Yeah," Tyler agreed.

*•*•*•*•*

I could feel relief when I saw the cabin come into view. On our way back, we made no conversation. Even Jack was silent. Thankfully, he stopped his blubbering display, cause that would've been hard to explain. We've came to an agreement to keep the events of what happened to ourselves.

Mom seemed to have been outside on the phone, which answered my unasked question — if we had cell service out here. Now I miss my phone more than ever. I didn't see Leo, though. He was probably inside.

Mom ended the call, looking frantic. She noticed us coming over, and gestured for us to move faster. We all exchanged looks, and hurried over to my mom, as she put her phone in her pocket.

"What is it?" Blake asked.

"Well, your father and I have to leave town for a few days," Mom said. Oh fab, I forgot they had the same damn job, though I never cared enough to find out what they do for a living. "It's an emergency, just got the call. Go inside and pack. We're leaving."

"Are we coming with?" I asked.

"We're dropping off all of you at my place," Mom said. "Since Skylar is only fourteen and all. Lucas is in charge."

I'm offended. I'm in high school, yet my mom doesn't trust me? There are fucking ten years olds
staying at home by themselves, yet I still need a babysitter. Jack, I understood, but I'm able to be his babysitter!

Plus, I already see enough of them at school.

"You can count on me," Lucas said, though he's probably not at all thrilled. Same with his brothers. Two faced, I thought drily.

Jack looked nervous. "Um... okay," he said softly.

"Go pack," Mom repeated urgently. "We're leaving. Right now. Be fast."

*•*•*•*•*

I've decided that I have the worst luck in the entire universe. Some unseen force really hates me. Those are the only plausible explanations, and I'm starting to get annoyed with my terrible luck.

Whatever.

And once again, I'm a car with the River boys and my brother. In the same exact arrangements.

Oh, joy.

Sarcasm alert.

I rested my head against the window, as Lucas — in the driver's seat — drove by.

And once again, jack went to sleep on my fucking shoulder.

I sighed, resisting the urge to knock his head the other way, though I'm pretty sure Blake would not appreciate that one bit.

"God, do we have to go over to their house?" Tyler whined.

"Unfortunately," Lucas answered, sighing heavily.

Blake smirked. "But, hey, you're in charge," he said. "Skylar and Jack would have to listen to you, no matter how ridiculous."

Tyler snorted.

"I like the way you think," Lucas said.

"I don't," I muttered

Too bad I can't do something... like commit murder.