Phone calls and KID's soon to be heist

Shinichi's phone rang, waking her up. It wasn't her Conan phone, it was her actual high school detective's self phone. Oh great, now she's separating herself into two people. Isn't that wonderful? I might need to see a therapist when this is over, she concluded. She might just end up with a split personality. As she answered the phone, she wasn't aware that the phantom thief who was sleeping in the armchair in the corner of her room was stirred awake and now eying her with curiosity and concern.

"Hello?" Shinichi asked, her bow tie ready as her feminine teenage voice rang out through the room. Kaito's eyes widened at the invention. So that's how she had imitated all those voices. She can't do it by herself like Kaito could, but still, it was pretty amazing. "Who's speaking."

"Shinichi, I didn't expect you to pick up.. that's a first." Shinichi's eyes widened slightly and she glanced at the floor sadly. It was Ran. Her best friend. Her sister. Kaito saw her look and felt anger clench at his heart. He hate the organization for turning Shinichi this way, screwing up her life and all the foundations she made for herself. Even though he didn't have a reason to why.

"Ran." She whispered out into the phone through the bow tie.

"Shinichi. Are you alright? You call less and less." Ran's voice cracked and the detective knew she was crying from the soft sobs she heard through the phone. Kaito glanced sadly over the detective who was pondering on what to say. "You always tell me you're on a case. Is it just one case? I mean, you've been gone for a year and a half already. If it's dangerous Shinichi, if you've gotten yourself to something bad; please, please come home!" Ran pleaded.

"I-I can't." Shinichi said, slightly confused of what to say next. Ran had never been this blunt to her over the phone. She knew it was a bad idea to neglect all her calls as Kudo Shinichi. It had honestly just been a burden, taking care of Shinichi's seriousness while trying her best to act like a seven year old boy. "The case has to be complete. I'm sorry." She muttered, and Ran wept more. Shinichi hated herself for making Ran cry. It was despicable.

"C-can you at least visit me? You don't even do that anymore." Ran tried, desperately trying to get her best friend back into her life. Kaito eyed the detective with concern when he saw just how close she was to breaking her phone in her tightly clenched hands.

"I'm sorry, I'm not anywhere near, and am not sure when I'll be able to return." The detective said softly. It was the truth, Kaito realized. She technically wasn't even here at the moment, it was Conan. She didn't know when she would be able to return because she didn't have the antidote nor the exact time the antidote would be made. If ever made. Talking to Ran was hurting Shinichi more than she though, so she ended the call. "I have to go, but stay out of trouble." She whispered and hung up on a protesting Ran.

Tucking away her bow tie and phone, Shinichi dragged herself out of bed, finally taking in the sight of the thief. She gasped slightly before glaring and the thief in question chuckled rather nervously. Great, now he's on Tantei-Chan's bad side again..

"What have I said about eavesdropping?" She scolded lightly. To tired and emotionally troubled to be serious. Kaito sat there, taking all her mental bashing's like a kicked puppy. Yet he didn't dare protest, he knew she would kick something at them if he did. Instead, once Shinichi was satisfied about getting her point across, she checked the time. It was still fairly early in the morning and she needed coffee. And so, she left a stunned scolded magician pouting in her room as she went to her kitchen.