Chapter 2: Second Chance at First Line

Start bij het begin

"You're really not helping."

☾☾☾

The dirt from animal clinic washed down the drain along with most of the days problems as I let the hot water run over my body. I leaned my head against the cold linoleum, the water beating on my uptight back as I continued to process the last few days and how Scott and I had been dragged into the supernatural world. I was scared, and so was Scott. But one of us had to be the brave one. 

I felt my shoulders drop in disappointment as the water grew cold and I forced myself out of the shower and slid into a pair of pajamas. I draped the towel I'd been using to dry my hair across my shoulders and proceeded to exit the bathroom, immediately expecting a response from Scott about how abnormally long my shower was. The moment I stepped out into the hallway, a figure came out of Scott's room. I looked up and found myself surprised, and slightly angry, to see Derek Hale.

"What the hell are you doing in my house?" I asked, pulling on the sides of my towel.

"Giving Scott a warning." He simply answered, brushing past me. I turned around, glaring at the man in shock. Really?

"Stay away from my brother and stay the hell out of my house." I venomously hissed, feeling my blood boil. Derek Hale had the nerve to walk into my house and threaten my brother? No, not on my watch. Nobody threatened Scott besides me.

"You better make sure he doesn't play in that game." He threatened.

"Or what?" I spat back.

"Or he's going to shift and the both of us will end up dead." Derek stormed off down the stairs leaving me to think about what he said and what I thought about him. Maybe Derek's threat wasn't exactly a threat. He wasn't trying to hurt Scott; he was trying to make sure he didn't end up dead. Sure I didn't like the guy and how he handled things, but he just might have been trying to look out for my brother...in his own Derek Hale way.

☾☾☾

As if the week couldn't have gotten any weirder, Scott had apparently smelled a dead body at Derek's house while him and Stiles had snuck over there hours before. So while the two of them were trying to dig up the grave it was buried in, I found myself at Allison's house trying to not think about the fact her werewolf hunting father was in the next room over. 

"I can't tell whether Kafka was majorly tripping or his mind was just that messed up." I asked, flipping through the pages of Metamorphosis as we continued our homework, "I mean, how do you think of something this cryptic?"

"I think both." Allison heavily sighed, highlighting a line of the text.

"Okay, spit it out. What's bothering you?" I asked. Allison's head lifted up in surprise.

"W—What do you mean?"

"The tension in this room is suffocating me. What's up?" I asked again.

"I don't get what's going on with your brother." She sighed.

"I haven't known what's going through his head since the day I met him." I laughed.

"He keeps questioning me about Derek Hale. If they're friends I don't get what the problem is." Mentally, I began cursing Scott out. Discrete wasn't in his vocabulary.

"They're like brothers," more than she'd ever know, "they fight. A lot." 

"I still don't get it. He shouldn't be so uptight."

"He's having a rough week to say the least. Pressure of the first games getting to him."

"I never thought of that." Allison ran a hand through her thick brunette hair.