Chapter 1 - Jelro

Jelro Thwaullaru didn't think his decision was stupid when he, a thirteen-year-old, wrote his name under the list of students that would be future hunters in their thriving town.

     He didn't think he had made the wrong decision during the entire first year, or the second year.

     When half of the class switched out before they turned fifteen and would no longer be allowed to switch, he didn't even think twice about continuing his studies.

     He excelled in every aspect of the class, and he could think of nothing that he'd rather be doing than gliding through the terrain with a bow and arrow in hand.

     Water or land, it didn't matter once he turned fifteen—Jelro was a halfling, as his mother was merfolk and his father was human. As long as he was submerged in the water, he had a tail and gills. If he left the water completely and came on land, he had legs and stronger lungs. His hands were always webbed between his fingers and his ears were always the fin-shaped kind that most Merrow had.

     Thanks to his enchanted bow, arrows he fired could fly through the water with little to no hindrance from the currents or waves.

     It was where he belonged.

     It was his calling.

     But that was before he met Oireug.

     "Does everyone understand their task?" the hunting captain called out to the students—the hunters in training. "Nothing more, nothing less. Up to three of you are allowed to share a catch. Is that clear?"

     The ten students solemnly nodded. Captain Awre was among the strictest of the captains, but for a good reason. She had to ensure the hunting was controlled, as to prevent the decline in animals living in the area.

     Jelro admired Captain Awre greatly; she was a human that had lost her left arm long ago while trapped by wolves, and she had taught herself how to use a bow with her feet. It was incredible to see her willpower at work.

     "Your time begins now!" she shouted, and the hunters rushed off, some getting in groups to share their catch with.

     Jelro was friends with most of the other hunters, but he preferred to work alone. Too many hunters restricted where arrows could be aimed, and it was hard to be stealthy.

     Two small animals or one of medium size—nothing larger than a small boar. Those were the instructions, and he planned on following them exactly. He would try to find something in the medium range, but if time started to run out before he found anything, he would go after two smaller creatures instead.

     Smaller creatures were things like squirrels and birds, and even mice. Adult rabbits and foxes were medium-sized.

     Large creatures like bears and moose were practically forbidden to the students; they didn't have the skill to avoid injury.

     Jelro crept through the trees for mere minutes before he picked up on fresh tracks, and by the look of it, the rabbit was injured. He knew he was lucky; most rabbits had learned to avoid the areas near The Academy, especially the hunting grounds.

     As he stalked after his quarry, his mind swam with thoughts of rabbit stew. He'd missed the morning meal that day as a result of him oversleeping and barely making it to class on time. He'd stayed up late the previous night, brushing up on his reading for necessity classes such as lettering and calculations.

     Jelro didn't understand why he would ever need to be good at putting numbers together if he was a hunter, but he wasn't half-bad at it and didn't complain.