Chapter 12 (Part 2)

Isadora POV

Jumping down from the last step, I swung around the corner to the entrance of the second basement. Tony kept his cars here, along with a good portion of his lab. Although my mind was quite occupied, I couldn't have helped to notice Steve's Harley sitting so gracefully beside my father's cars.

Quickly  taking another glance at the shiny bike, I ran over to the main console that activated JARVIS. A flashback of Steve and me ran across my mind as I stood still for a moment. He had insisted on taking me out for a ride earlier this week, but I had been too terrified of that metal death trap to even step near it.

"Isadora," he began, "Do you think I would let anything hurt you?"

Hesitating, I unclasped my hands and gazed at him perplexed. "Well, no, I suppose not."

"Well than, you have to trust me, sweetheart. I got your back."

Smiling up at him, I followed suit as he straddled the Harley. Gingerly clambering up behind him, I settled on to the back and wrapped my thin arms around his strong torso.

"I got your back, too. I promise."

Tumbling back into reality, I reached the console and searched for the activation button. Assuming that it would be the large, green button that read 'Activate',  my hand shot forward and hoped for the best.

"Hello, Miss Stark," rang out JARVIS' automated voice.

"JARVIS, we've been attacked. Contact Director Fury or Agent Coulson. Get them here, now."

"Already on it, Miss Stark."

Murmuring my thanks, I bounded back up the basement steps and hurried to my family. Upon reaching the main floor where the chaos had unfolded, I was relieved to see my father sitting up on the floor, a glass of Scotch in his left hand as his eyes, cast downwards toward the ground, held little to no emotion at all. The rest of the lot stood scattered as they contemplated in silence. Steve, however, looked towards me in questioning, wordlessly asking if I had carried out my deed. Nodding simply, I offered him a weak smile as he returned the gesture in similar faith. 

Peering down at myself, I frowned as my eyes took in the multiple rips in my pretty red dress. Pepper had bought it for me to wear on this special occasion, and I was saddened to see it in such a poor state. 

Sure was special occasion.

Letting out a breath I didn't know I had been holding, my trembling legs carried me towards Tony. Glass and debris crunched under my feet, alerting him that something was approaching. Quickly looking up, his eyes met mine and no words could have been spoken. There was nothing to be said, and we both knew it.

Simply crouching down to his level, I launched myself forward into his expecting arms, burying my face into the crook of his neck as I heaved in his familiar and comforting smell. He held me tightly to him, squeezing me lovingly as he rubbed my back in gentle circles. 

"We're going to get through this," I murmured as I pulled away to look into his warm eyes. "We'll find out who it was. And we'll deliver justice, no matter what."

Tony smiled softly at my words. "You're brave. I admire that."

"How could I not be? I obviously get it from you." My father's eyebrows scrunched in confusion as he continued to meet my gaze. Shifting out of his lap and onto the floor beside him, my face held a gentle, yet bright smile as I continued. 

"You are brave, Dad. You fight evil people in order to save the good. That's what a brave person does."

He looked at me sincerely as he reached down to place a gentle kiss on the top of my head. Looking back up at him, I could see the love in his eyes as he hugged me to his side.

"So," Tony's voice rang out as he decided to break the silence. "What do we do now?" We gazed at each other questioningly, not able to produce a suitable answer. 

"You'll do what I tell you to do, Stark," a deep and familiar voice rang out from behind us. 

Jerking around, my eyes caught sight of Director Fury in his signature coat standing tall and proud as various agents poured into the room. Many of them quickly began to pick up debris and sweep away the rubble while others began to set up highly complex equipment about the room.  

"Always nice to see you, Director," Dad murmured under his breath. Letting out a short giggle, I softly elbowed him in the ribs. 

"Cut the crap, Stark," Fury responded in a dull tone, "We have a serious problem."

"And why would I do that?" Tony responded with anger laced in his voice. Getting up gingerly, he made his way to stand in front of the director. Eye to eye, both looked upon each other with distaste. 

"Because, Stark," he responded with a small smirk. "The same people who killed your parents are now after your daughter. "