Chapter 13

Isadora POV

My eyes widened when my brain recognized what Director Fury had told us. I had no previous knowledge of my grandparents except of the car crash that ended their life; I had always been curious about their days spent here on earth, yet I didn't want to ask my dad. I could sense it would upset him, considering that most people would feel some sort of pain when reminded of their parents' tragic death.

"My parents died in a car crash," Tony spit at Fury with clenched teeth. My father had a face of pure stone; frozen and firm. It was the one the media typically plastered on paper and on the internet – 'Tony Stark is a simple man of complexity, a genius and a total badass' is what the journalism describes. They would be surprised to know that my father, a genius badass, actually has emotions.

"Listen, Tony," Director Fury remarked, softening his tone lightly. "It wasn't exactly a car crash."

My father's unyielding face turned to one of confusion, and then slowly morphed into pain as his eyes, cast downwards to the floor, began to moisten. Director Fury silently placed his arm around my father's shoulders and led him down the hall into a separate room. After hearing the soft click of the door being shut, I turned to everyone else. Looking around, I noticed that everyone else had left.

"What's going on?" I asked in general as my legs carried me towards Steve. He shifted his shield to his left arm and brought me in with his right, hugging me gently.

"It's complicated, Isadora," He began with slight difficulty, "There's things that you're not ready to know yet."

"And why not?" I demanded, slightly angry. Pulling away from Steve, I stepped back to glare him in the eyes.

"Is it because I'm 'too young'? Steve, you forget that my mind is far more advanced than those of most people my age. I can comprehend many things, and probably more than you."

Steve put on a grim smile. Regret filled me as my mind pondered those last words; I had basically called him intellectually average. However, I knew he realized that my intent was not to hurt his feelings, but to make a point.

"Trust me, I know," the soldier replied as he made his way towards the damaged couch. Stepping over various amounts of rubble and debris, I followed suit and placed myself next to him.

"You're so smart, it's scary," he continued with a humorless laugh, "But it's deeper than that. I'm not the one you need to have this conversation with."

Just as the last word had left his lips, my ears detected the sound of a door being opened. Glancing behind me, I saw my father storm towards us. Despite, his angry demeanor, he gently pulled me up by the hand and led me to the far corner of the room. Steve and I looked at him in confusion as he marched back to the couch.

In a blink of an eye, my father had lashed out, his right fist connecting with Steve's jaw, knocking him off the couch and onto the ground. He landed face down, catching his weight with his hands. As he looked back up towards my father, I could see the hurt in both of their eyes.

"Why?" Tony rasped angrily as he looked down at his friend on the floor. "Why didn't you tell me?!"

Before Steve could get a word out, my father kicked him in the ribs, knocking the breath out of him. My face of horror immediately turned to one of anger as a I began screeching.

"Stop!" my voice trembled as I ran towards the most important men in my life. "Daddy, stop it! You're hurting him."

Crouching down beside him, I brushed Steve's hair out of his face as my arms gently helped him up. I was pretty sure that he was carrying most of his weight, but I guided him up along the way.

"I'm sorry, Tony," he said simply. Tony looked away with a face of disgust. Avoiding my stunned gaze, he quickly turned back and walked towards the elevator. The doors opened immediately. Walking into the metal box, Steve called out after him.

"He's my friend, Tony."

My father, refusing to turn and face us, answered him simply as the doors of the elevator began to close.

"So was I."