Chapter One: Panel

Start from the beginning

"My device does not fit that description," Tony responds his voice balanced and firm.

"Well... How would you describe it?" Senator Stern was stunned for a moment with his brows furrowed.

"I would describe it by defining it as what it is, Senator," Tony tells him as his smirk disappears and his voice hardens.

"As?" Senator Stern asks him as Lydia rolls her eyes making Pepper tap her leg shaking her head at the girl.

"She is the worst at that. Does it all the time," Pepper mutters as she looks at Tony who smirks at her. 

"It's a high-tech prosthesis. That is...," Tony tells him, choosing his words carefully

"That is... That's actually the most apt description I can make of it," Tony continues over the laughing audience. Everyone seemed to be enjoying this but Pepper.

"Is that how you explain it to your daughter?" Senator Stern asks him making Tony's entire demeanor change. Tony shifts in his chair, pulling himself completely upright and his expression turns hard and calculates as he glares at the Senator.

"Oh yeah, he shouldn't have asked that," Nat mutters to Clint who nods agreeing with her. 

"My daughter is not part of this hearing," Tony says firmly as he sends a look to Lydia who smiles at him encouragingly as Tony nods at her.

"And my only thought is making sure my daughter is safe. No matter what. Do not bring her into something that does not involve Senator. I would never ever endanger my daughter's life by having any type of weapon near her. If you think I would that can be a conversation we can have at another time. Off the record," Tony says glaring at the man slightly as the room goes silent.

The only thing that could be heard was the occasional clicking from the reporters as the other senators shift uncomfortably.

"Why bring Lydia into it? It's like he is asking for Tony to snap," Steve asks shaking his head.

Steve knew that right now he wasn't in the Stark's good graces but that didn't mean he didn't care about the girl. He still remembers when he first meets her on the Helicarrier. He was surprised to see a little girl on it but was glad he met her.

"I mean no offense," Senator Stern says as Tony just stares at him.

"Right. Of course not," Tony says looking at the Senator as Pepper holds Lydia's hand, and the blonde smiles at her softly.   

"It's a weapon. It's a weapon, Mr. Stark," Senator Stern says and it was clear he was uncomfortable as Tony glares at him.

"Please, if your priority was actually the well-being of the American citizen...," Tony begins but the senator interrupts him.

"My priority is to get the Iron Man weapon turned over to the people of the United States of America," Senator Stern tells him.

"He can't do that. It's dads property. He made it and didn't hurt anyone. If he didn't have that suit I would be dead," Lydia says loudly making many looks at her as Tony winks at her making Lydia smile at him brightly.

"Lady Stark is adorable," Thor says looking at the girl making Nat look at him and shake her head watching the screen again.

"Well, you can forget it. I am Iron Man. The suit
and I are one. To turn over the Iron Man suit would be to turn over myself which is tantamount to indentured servitude or—," Tony begins before turning to Lydia.

"Princess cover your ears right quick," Tony says with a wink making Lydia look confused but does it as Tony smiles at her turning back to the panel.

"Prostitution, depending or what state you're in. You can't have it," Tony tells him before nodding at Lydia who removes her fingers from her ears making Lydia smile at her as he smiles back at her.