Chapter 28: Behind every door

The light was starting to stream in through the window and Chloe could hear Maze. Lucifer was partially draped over her again, she lightly placed her hand on his arm and stroked it with her thumb but he didn't wake. She slowly and gently disentangled herself from him, put her clothes on, and went out to check on Maze and Amenadiel.

Maze looked up, as she was just about to remove the bandage.

"How is he?" Chloe asked looking at the sleeping angel.

"Better I think, his temperature is more normal and he seems to be sleeping peacefully."

"Amazing," Chloe exclaimed. "It's completely knitted together." The wound was no longer a gaping gash while still looking raw and red. Maze attended to it and bandaged it up.

Maze nodded. "Angels heal remarkably quickly."

"Do you think his...?"

Just then Amenadiel moaned and opened his eyes. "Maze, Chloe? Why are you here?"

"Because you were passed out on Lucifer's couch and we had nothing better to do than watch you sleep," Maze snapped.

He went to sit up and winced. He exhaled painfully. "Asmodeus?"

"We'll try and hunt him down. Lie down. You need to heal fully."

"No, we need to find him." He slowly staggered to his feet.

Maze's eyes flashed angrily. "If you don't get your ass back on that couch I will knock you unconscious." She stood up fists clenched.

Amenadiel swayed looking as if he would topple at any moment, and then sat back down.

Chloe sat down beside him. "Maze is right. You need to let yourself fully heal."

The demon sat down on the other side of him. "Your wing may have been damaged -- so to give it its the best chance you need to rest and for hell's sake don't try and draw it out."

The angel sensed his wings but the one where he was stabbed hurt tremendously. He grimaced and nodded agreeing to keep it still as he took a few deep breaths.

"Well brother, finally you're awake. I thought you'd become bored and returned to heaven," Lucifer quipped lightheartedly.

The angel's eyes narrowed. "No such luck, Lucifer."

They stared at each other.

Chloe cleared her throat. "I need to get home, shower, change and go to work."

Lucifer's eyes snapped to her but before he could get a word out Maze piped up.

"Arch demon's best in the dark, I hardly think Asmodeus would risk being out in bright sunlight -- it weakens him and the night strengthens him."

Lucifer still looked worried. "I'll come with you."

"No, you are going to stay here with your brother for now. If a case comes up that I need you on I'll let you know," Chloe's voice had a note of finality to it.

His dark eyes were intense and troubled. "Fine, however, if you see anything out of the ordinary you have to call me right away."

She looked at him wondering when he had become so protective.

"Please," he pleaded.

He was worried about her. He never said please unless he was very stressed and desperate. She nodded. "I promise. Everything will be fine, don't worry." With that, she smiled,  went over to him wrapped her arms around his neck, and hugged him. He trembled as he tightly held her. For a moment she was worried he wasn't going to let her go but with a soft sigh, he released her.