Chapter 5: Life with the devil

She hated herself for it but she pulled out her gun as she sat down a few seats away.

"Lucifer."

He didn't move - she called his name again.

He awoke and slowly sat up looking drowsy. His eyes widened when he saw the gun pointed at him. He whispered "Detective?" and raised his hands

She steadied herself and took deep breaths. "What happened back there?" she asked her throat tight.

"Are you going to shoot me again?" he asked trying to be lighthearted.

"Just answer the question, " she ordered. She could feel herself tremble as the memory of the glaring red eyes swept over her along with the unbearable temporary agony from the burns.

He swallowed heavily. It hurt just looking at her. She was still just as upset. "I punished the miscreant with hellfire."

"How exactly did you do that?"

He frowned looking confused. "In hell, I just summon it but here it goes out into their minds and somehow they can feel it, smell it, hear it but no one else can see it. Surely you know that since..." his words trailed off as he looked guilty.

"Are you a hypnotist?" she asked hoping that he'd say yes.

"No. You know who I am," he stated calmly never breaking eye contact with her. She shook her head. He could see that she was shaking. "There's a blanket over there -- you could..."

"Stop it! If you truly are the devil as you've been saying, then you are dangerous especially if you go around punishing people before they are even declared guilty!"

His expression changed so fast that she felt as if she had just kicked a puppy again.

He swallowed heavily and his voice was thick with emotion as he answered in almost a whisper. "Not you as well?" He looked at her accusingly. "My father ruined me forever, hasn't he? I thought you of all people could see me for who I am?"

Her heart raced, and tears filled her eyes. She remembered how upset he was when Father Frank died...how much Trixie adored him. He had slept in her bed on two occasions. "Lucifer," she said hoarsely.

He didn't respond verbally -- his dark eyes rested intently on her. She had hurt him -- she could see that. He felt betrayed. She tried to explain. "You asked me once if I was afraid of you and I said no. After what happened yesterday -- I...I had never felt pain like that before. Childbirth was a breeze compared to that. I know that you didn't mean to hurt me. I know that, but..." she trembled.

He took a ragged breath. "You are now afraid of me." It wasn't a question but rather a statement.

Her voice broke. "I don't know. I can't get how you looked -- those burning eyes out of my mind."

He looked anguished. "I punish the guilty; it's the form my father made me wear."

"How it is possible you even exist? I don't believe in the heaven and hell thing. Just good and evil. So how can you be the devil?"

"Given the choice between good and evil do you now define me as evil?" he asked desperately.

With shaking hands, she lowered the gun. "I don't know what you are. The devil through all time, as far as I know, is known as evil but I've never believed in the devil -- yet that's who you insist you are and after what I saw and felt -- I can believe if the devil exists it might be you. But why are you here?"

Lucifer closed his eyes for a moment. "That's a long story."

She wiped her face. "Your dad right? God?"