Chapter 15: The calm before the storm part 2

He lifted his glass of wine to Chloe who clinked it with hers.

It warmed her heart to see him having fun. With the effects of the hellfire = first the cold then the fever and whatever happened at the penthouse a few mornings ago he hadn't been quite himself. He was tense, almost withdrawn -- very unlike the Lucifer she knew. Now he was back to his old charming, at times annoying self.

They looked at the menu and decided to go with the seafood special for two.

Chloe was suddenly bathed in a glow of orange light. Lucifer felt gob-smacked. She looked stunning.

"Oh, what a gorgeous sunset!" She looked at Lucifer and frowned. "Hey Lucifer -- ocean!" She pointed to it.

He seemed to snap out of his trance. "Yes, yes, it's lovely."

It was a gorgeous orange-pink hue as the hot flaming ball sank into the sea sending orange, yellow, and pink tendrils across the sky. Chloe moaned softly, "That was hands down the most beautiful sunset ever."

Lucifer cleared his throat, which had suddenly become dry upon hearing Chloe moan. "I'm glad we're able to share it, Detective."

He smiled so warmly that her heart skipped a beat. Focus on Dan the little voice in her head told her. Just then the food arrived. A delicious selection of prawns. scallops, smoked salmon all ethically caught, tempura vegetables, roasted vegetables, and roasted sweet potato fries.

Lucifer closed his eyes and sighed with a low growl of appreciation.

Chloe swallowed heavily envisioning just for an unwelcome moment Lucifer in bed after...no no no...she couldn't let her thoughts go there. She quickly stuffed a prawn into her mouth only to choke because it was still quite hot.

Lucifer looked startled then with an amused grin asked, "A little famished are you, Detective? Here let me. First dip the prawn in this delectable, red pepper sauce the chef has so generously provided. It cools down so you don't choke." For added measure, he blew on it softly pursing his lips. Chloe focused on those lips and gulped. He brought the prawn over to her mouth. "Go on, take a nibble." And there was that teasing grin of his again.

She took a deep breath, quieting her racing heart, pictured Dan in her head, and took a bite. Two can play this game she thought. She moaned and licked her lips. It was Lucifer's turn to swallow heavily.

"All right then, let's eat." He glanced at her suspiciously.

She made sure to open her eyes wide and look as innocent as possible. She felt like laughing. She had just beaten the devil at his own game until Lucifer grabbed half a fig dipped it in a yogurt sauce and licked the sauce swirling his tongue around it. "Oh Detective," he moaned closing his eyes. "You need to try this -- so delicious."

She quickly focused on a scallop and concentrated on dipping it into the citrus sauce that accompanied it.

His eyes glinted with mischief.

Time to focus on the case. "So...Mr. Stewart heard growls last night. That makes one think that your hell hounds were perhaps chasing more escaped souls down."

He gave her a strange look opened his mouth then closed it again. He frowned and took a drink from his glass of wine.

"Lucifer? What do you think?"

He glanced at her, his black eyes worried and uncertain. He finally answered, "Yes, you may be right or perhaps there is another explanation. It doesn't make sense that they would steal a carousel."

"No, I suppose not, it's not like they have children to entertain," she added refocusing on her dinner.

That sick feeling returned, Lucifer couldn't shake the feeling his mum was involved but so far no bodies had been found. The children were just missing, it wouldn't make sense if his mum was the one who took them - she would have dispatched them immediately.