Chapter 18: Hellfire

When they got back to Lux, Lilian had left. Maze while busy bartending informed them Amenadiel was upstairs.

When the elevator opened, Chloe saw Lucifer's brother standing on the balcony staring out into the night. He nodded at Lucifer and smiled softly at Chloe. She went outside to stand beside him while Lucifer headed to the bar.

"So your mom is in town?" she stated.

He looked at her warily but nodded.

"Are you okay? Considering how upset you were a few days ago it's hard to imagine that everything is well?"

"I don't know what to think. It almost feels like old times and it's easy to let oneself sink into believing one can go back. But she did some terrible things killing those children and...whatever else she did." With those words, he glanced at Lucifer.

Chloe realized Amenadiel had strong feelings for his mom and was very conflicted. She had liked Lilian but a person who could do what she did to her child -- that indicated something seriously wrong and disturbed. She realized she hadn't asked Lucifer if his brother and Maze knew what she had done...she didn't think so. She glanced at him, he looked frozen at the bar staring at her with worry in his eyes. She shook her head to assure him she wouldn't say anything. His shoulders sand and he visibly relaxed and poured drinks.

"What did you talk about?" Lucifer asked as he brought over drinks.

"Things I've done for father. She doesn't approve," he said wryly. "She was visibly angry when I told her I had tried to bring you back to hell."

"Did she say anything else about me?" the devil asked taking a swig of his drink.

"No. Just talked about free will as she always did. Her main focus was on how much she missed us," he said softly, eyes downcast.

"You know we can never go back -- she did too much damage. Father will want her returned to hell," Lucifer stated firmly.

"I asked what she did..." Amenadiel stated while staring intently at his brother.

Lucifer didn't move but he met Amenadiel's eyes when he interrupted, "We know what she did - everyone knew about the children.

"To you," Amenadiel finished his sentence.

Chloe's cell phone rang - she cursed it. She quickly got up and moved back inside so she wouldn't interrupt.

With a heavy heart, she returned to find Lucifer standing tense and just heard Amenadiel say, "...nothing. Perhaps she's ashamed of whatever she did to you. I wish you could have faith in me to tell me what happened."

Lucifer scoffed, "Really? Because you've been so supportive of me in the past. I don't remember you begging father to let me stay in heaven."

"Lucifer," Chloe interrupted.

He turned to her. "Yes?"

"We have a case, we need to leave."

He glared at the angel. "...And not a moment too soon this conversation is over." He headed to his bedroom. "I'll be right out Detective, just need to change my clothes."

Amenadiel leaned close to her, his eyes were troubled. "Do you know?"

She hesitated. There was no way she would talk about this.

"A simple yes or no -- and as an angel, I can tell if it's the truth."

"I'm not going to answer that."

Amenadiel inhaled sharply. "I can tell just by the look on your face. So it was bad?"

He took a shaky breath, his body tensing. He bit his lower lip and blinked rapidly a few times. "So our mom should go back to hell?" he asked hoarsely.