Meet the Team: Morgan Rider

Writer's Relay:
Dear Morgan Rider, you have been on the team side, the organisation of this event. Now that it is well into its publishing way, let's take this opportunity to know more about you, your writing journey, and your thoughts on Wattpad and the Writer's Relay event.

So, let's start with some warm up...

What prompted you to start writing on Wattpad, and what do you like most about the platform?

Morgan Rider:
I started publishing my stories on Wattpad in 2013 on my buzzmama profile. I was writing a lot of YA fantasy at the time, having been inspired to write after reading the Harry Potter stories. The platform gave me an opportunity to talk with readers and get their feedback on my work, which quickly became the most valuable aspect of the platform, for me.

WR:
Tell us one thing about your writing process that has helped you the most.

Morgan Rider:
My answer to this question has changed over the years. Currently, I have found that long walks through my neighborhood helps me get into a plotting headspace. I speak or write ideas that come to me on my phone.

WR:
Which author has influenced your writing the most?

Morgan Rider:
One of my favorite authors is Gail Carriger. She writes steampunk stories and inserts some fantasy and paranormal into them. I never realized until recently how much her larger than life characters and attention to detail I have carried over into my own work.

WR:
Where, would you say, do you stand in your writing journey?

Morgan Rider:
I was asked to join the Wattpad Stars program in 2017 and have since published 17 novels on the platform. I've actually slowed down on writing because I'm so busy mentoring other writers on the platform. So I'd say I'm far enough along on my journey to feel confident sharing my experience with other writers.

WR:
Which of your own stories is closest to your heart?

Morgan Rider:
The story that is closest to my heart has to be Neon Girl. This story was written as a cathartic exercise to pen some experiences from my youth. I grew up in Las Vegas under the relaxed supervision of musician parents, and a lot of 'interesting' experiences came from that. The story won a Wattys in 2015, which was probably the biggest accolade I had ever received before that day. Now it's in Paid and on Yonder, so I'm glad I went through the effort.

WR:
Share two Wattpad story recommendations. Include the usernames of the authors and why you enjoyed the stories.

Morgan Rider:
Edgewise by krazydiamond because it's a fun, steampunk adventure with an incredibly diverse cast and a unique storyline.

Prince Charming Must Die by BrittanieCharmintine because it's a hilarious take on what lengths a princess will go through to see that her two-timing prince is brought to justice.

WR:
There is one question that many authors may have asked themselves, you included... But could there be one simple single answer? Let's hear from your thoughts...

What would be the perfect recipe for the next greatest novel of all time? One you would write or read.

Morgan Rider:
Take Blade Runner and Dune and Star Wars and throw in some steampunk and dragons and romance, and I'm all over that.

WR:
Now that we know more about you, we are curious about your involvement in the Writer's Relay adventure.

What was your first thought when seeing the Writer's Relay call for participants? Did you apply straight away or did you take time to ponder on your possible involvement?

Morgan Rider:
I stood back eating popcorn and watching the discord chats from the admin booth. And I admire every writer who threw their pen into the ring.

WR:
What do you hope this initiative will bring to the Wattpad community and the authors who participated as well as for future similar events?

Morgan Rider:
This was a unique collaboration that required the participating writers to work closely together on a single project. It took patience and flexibility, and I believe the work they created reflects their passion for storytelling. It also proves there is hope for future collabs like it.

WR:
Now that you are well into this relay race, what do you think of your role in the collaboration?

Writing as a group is a bit like musicians performing in an orchestra. And who says orchestra, says musicians and conductor... but also lots of people working in the background. What is your role in this philharmonic? And what kind of symphony will come out?

Morgan Rider:
I feel like I operated as the mic check person. I helped to make sure everyone's stations were ready for the big performance.