Part 27: The omen of a bad day

Mulai dari awal

Lily grinned. "That's about all you'd need."

"I think your potion is done, Lily," Slughorn mentioned.

Lily turned her head back to her potion, and hurried to stand next to it. It had reached its correct color while it simmered, and the steam coming from the cauldron was a misty silver. She smiled at Slughorn. "And I think that it's perfect, Professor."

"Well no doubt. Wait here a moment," he told her. Then he disappeared into the storage room.

Lorcan came to stand next to her. "Is that a Draught of Peace?" he asked in surprise.

Lily nodded. "Yep. It was what Slughorn chose today."

"We did this last week. Mine was terrible, it looked all orange," Lorcan groaned. Then he looked at Lily in wonder. "I can't believe you can make this!"

Lily smiled. "Slughorn calls me a prodigy with this stuff. I've been doing stuff that sixth years have been doing since this summer," she told him.

Lorcan scratched the back of his hair. "I suck at this. I can't wait to drop it after O.W.L.s," he said with a laugh.

Lily giggled. "Don't tell Professor Slughorn that."

The two stood in silence as Lily looked at her potion. Then Lorcan spoke a little quieter. "You know, my brother is crazy about you."

Lily blushed as she glanced over at Lorcan. "Why do you say that?"

"You're all he talks about, at least to me. He hasn't stopped mention your date since it happened," Lorcan said with a chuckle.

Lily blushed even more. "Surely that's not all he talks about?"

Lorcan shook his head. "Face it, Lil. You make his heart go out of whack."

"Here we are!" Slughorn said as he waltzed back into the room. He held out two bottles, and walked over to the potion. With a wave of his wand, he filled them both. He capped them, and then handed one to Lily. "Here you are, Lily."

Lily smiled. "Thank you, sir."

With a wave of his wand, Slughorn vanished the rest of the potion. "Well, shall we continue this tomorrow evening?" he asked.

Lily nodded as she packed away her things. "Of course, sir. I'll be here right after Quidditch practice," she assured him. "I'll see you later, Professor."

"I'll walk with you," Lorcan told her. "Later, sir."

"Have a good night, you two," Slughorn told them.

The two left the classroom, and once the door had been closed, Lorcan began to talk again. "So, thanks for the help, Lil."

Lily smiled. "It was really no trouble."

Lorcan grinned. "I'm rubbish at school work. I just can't wait to get out of Hogwarts and play Quidditch professionally."

Lily rolled her eyes. Lorcan may have filled out, but his personality hadn't changed a bit. "Well, if you ever need help with Potions, just let me know. I don't mind helping."

Lorcan's eyes lit up. "Really?" He paused for a moment, and Lily sensed that he was thinking about something that he wasn't sure he should do. "Well, I'd hate to impose but do you think you could check this essay for me? I just kind of ran through it."

Lily smiled. "Sure. Let me see it."

Lorcan pulled it from his bag and handed it to her. Lily read it as they walked, noting errors as she read. "It's good, only a few mistakes. Want to know what they are?" she asked.