Reminders

We can't do this alone

You may have forgotten this along the way... but it's still okay to ask for help.

An there's still hope that someone may offer it to you.

She was right. They did.

After Alicia gave out her message on the transmitter, she fainted on the scaffolding. Strand, instead of saving the girl who had been like a daughter to him, stood idly as the flames rose. Fortunately he wasn't the only person on the roof. I did what we are tempted to delude ourselves into believing anyone would do... I saved her, and took her down to a lower level.

Once we met up with the rest of our people, it wasn't long before help arrived on the outside. Just as I was rummaging through my mind as to how we could possibly get out of here, alive, a pathway was made for us by others. The help I did not believe would offer itself... did just that. People heard Alicia's broadcast, and they chose to band together and help with what resource and energy they had left. It surprised me. It reminded me of a time from the past, a couple of years ago, when the communities riled together against my brother. It also reminded me of the bridge... everyone came together there too... but the cost was far greater than I was ever prepared for. To do the right thing can sometimes mean to risk everything you hold dearly.

So why the hell am I following her back?

During the escape from the Tower, Strand refused to leave. With time and radiation-infected walkers against us, we had no choice but to leave him. By the time we got to the coast, most started loading up life boats while the rest treated those who had been wounded. Alicia awoke from her unconscious state an hour or so later, and while everyone else seemed distracted by the rushing chaos and desperation to leave Texas, she snuck off with a blinded intention to save Strand. Why June told her the truth... well, no, I do know why regardless of any anger and resentment I hold.

"You're really willing to risk your life- again- for a scumbag human like Strand- after everything he did?" I questioned as we hurriedly paced through the forest, on our way back to the Tower.

"That's not what I'm doing. I'm following- I just- I have to- I have to make this right—"

"Making things right would mean leaving him there to burn with the dead." I stated harshly.

Alicia halted abruptly, causing me to almost crash into her back. Instead of continuing forward, she turned to face me with both a narrowed brow and sympathetic eyes. "I don't know what else you've been through. But back then, when you guys had the war... with your brother—" her words cut through me, as though a deep wound was being re-opened with a blunt dagger, "—,Morgan told me that you were what kept everyone going. You gave them hope. He said that for as long as he had known you, you were the one that kept believing. You had faith in people, and in chances." As she spoke, I felt as though I couldn't move. My entire body had frozen in place. "Did all of that change after your brother? Or did it come later?" She attempted to read me, but I had never been an open book. "I guess the reason is why you're even out here, right?"