The Trial of Will

This chapter is all flashback to (Y/N)'s Padawan tests, undertaken before being selected as a Padawan.

(Y/N) had nearly completed all of his Jedi Padawan trials. He hadn't placed well in the lightsaber fighting tournament, mainly due to the fact that he had been placed against the top of the class in the first round. He had spent most of the fight on the back foot, not having enough time to analyze their fighting style before he was forced out of bounds. The Form V the other hopeful employed easily beat (Y/N)'s Form II, not helped by the fact that Form V was encouraged by the instructors while Form II required several hoops to be jumped through just to learn the basics.

The reason (Y/N) opted to learn Makashi wasn't because he thought he would be facing several lightsaber-wielding foes as Dooku had, but because he preferred to leave his left hand open so he could more fluidly use the force on things around him. After all, a lightsaber was easily blocked. However, if they had to choose between blocking the lightsaber and a sharp bit of scrap metal flying right at a (non-vital) part of their ribcage, it would be much harder to choose. The issue was, the lightsaber tournament had no such items around, it was a pure test of lightsaber skill.

This was the real test that (Y/N) thought would allow him to prove himself. The test of Will. (Y/N) had always been quite skilled with the Force, though not the best in his class. It always felt like something was holding him back? No, no that wasn't it. More like he could be better if he took a different approach, though he wasn't sure what that approach was. What he was certain of was that wherever awaited through those doors, he would overcome

Or at least, that's what he thought.

(Y/N) entered the meditation chamber, assuming the position needed for the trial. However, as soon as he closed his eyes, his vision flashed amethyst, disturbing him somewhat. His sight cleared soon after, receiving what he could only assume were visions through the force. He saw a man standing upon a cliffside, that same amethyst color arcing between his hands and fingertips. His vision panned upward, over the man's shoulder, to show a tribal village of some sort situated inside a sandy ravine.

The man shot his arms outward, palms facing towards the sky. The amethyst color in his hands shot upwards, coming together into a massive storm cloud. The cloud suddenly moved above the village, before raining lightning upon it. At first it was only a couple rogue cracklings hitting roofs, before eventually releasing all of its energy as a single, massive bolt. The small village was suddenly in ruins, every home either already in flames or turned to ashes. Robed beings ran in every direction, panicking. Some were trying to put the flames out using what little resources they had in this desert hellscape, others attempting to shelter younglings. The man simply turned his back and walked away, his left eye glowing as a singular red dot in the shadow.

The vision held on the burning village for a couple seconds, before rushing quickly into the flames. (Y/N)'s vision filled with a color as fierce as the flames he saw mere moments ago, before fading into another scene.

He found himself on the bridge of a starship of some sort. A cold, metallic grey was interrupted only by the blue hue of consoles with officers typing away at them. Suddenly an orange and white ship jumped out of hyperspace directly in front of them, cannons already firing. Everyone on the bridge braced for impact.

"Sir, we're holding together, but our forward shield is at 40 percent!" one of the ensigns yelled, trying to ensure the two people at the front of the bridge could hear her. The two at the front were two men, the one on the right the same man seen earlier, and at his left a person in a large suit of armor, with spiked pauldrons on both shoulders.

"Marr, that Republic frigate will not let us pass. If we don't get this information to the Dark Council, the entire empire is doomed," the man said, stressing urgency.

"Do you think I do not know this, Nox? Get your hide into a fighter, and show them how good of a pilot you are," Marr replied, unenthused with the now named Nox's backtalk. Nox shot him a dirty look before running to find the elevator to the hangar.

The vision moved again, this time down the black elevator shaft into another scene. This time, both Nox and Marr were in a spherical throne room of some form. A man in intricate armor stood on the throne, with both Marr and Nox in chains before him. A single wave of the man's hand released the shackles on both of them, Marr exchanging a few, unheard words before pulling some sort of lightsaber from one of the guards and swinging at the man. However, before he could make much distance at all, he was thrown back by a torrent of lightning, similar to the kind Nox had used at the village. Again the vision zoomed into the purple of the lightning, then zooming out to show the exact opposite, with Nox delivering a far larger amount of lightning to the chest of the man.

"So you have seen my greatest successes," a voice called from the darkness, "and also my greatest regrets. I have no doubt we shall meet someday, but until then I must bid you adieu."

And with that, (Y/N) opened his eyes.