And what is the thing about Dexter being different now? If he is, how different is he? Being alone in her chambers wasn't helping with her conflicting emotions. Evening arrived and having had enough of the suffocating silence, she took a step out of her chambers.

         Claire saw her idling around and at her request, directed her to the king's chambers where she spent the remainder of her day, sitting and waiting for Dexter to get back.

.
.
.
      It was late evening when Dexter came back from work, visibly exhausted. Today had been an awfully long day for him and he was tired. He just wanted to freshen up and probably visit Maya later in the night. He'd missed her.

        He took one step into his chambers and stiffened, his senses going overdrive.  Someone was here. Thinking it was an intruder, he hurried in with every intention of killing whoever it was. He stopped short when he met a feminine figure on his bed, her legs up to her chin, lost in thought. It was Maya.

        What is she doing here? Regardless, he was happy to see her. He cleared his throat to announce his presence and she looked up at him, startled. She brightened when she saw it was him, a smile working it's way to her face. The tightness he felt in his chest dissipated immediately, replaced with a light feeling.

       " Why are you here?" Dexter asked, walking closer to her, his voice gentle.

       " I was waiting for you. Is that alright?" She asked, sounding doubtful. Dexter nodded, a gentle smile on his face.

        " Of course it is. I'm just surprised to see you here. You're supposed to be in your chambers." He said.

       " Well, I couldn't stay there." She replied, her eyes darkening. She shook her head, dismissing the thoughts that formed.

       " How was your day?" He asked as he pulled his clothes from his body, sparing her a glance.

        " I went on a tour of the palace. It's a beautiful place. I also met my handmaids. They're pretty okay."

       " Did you like it? And the maids, what do you think of them?"

       " Of course. The palace is a really beautiful place. It's well kept too. It'll take some time before I get used to it. I really enjoyed the tour. As for the maids, I'm not sure. Their first impressions wasn't so bad though."

         Dexter nodded thoughtfully. " I'm glad."

       " What about you? How was your day?" She asked. " You were out all morning. I didn't see you at all."

       " It was exhausting." He replied, his eyes dimming.  " The meeting took longer than I expected." His eyes darkened in rage as he remembered it. The court wouldn't stop arguing. " And I had to worry about the aftermath of my surprise attack. There was so many things to worry about."

       It seemed like a lot of things to do. She glanced at him and although he didn't look any different, his eyes looked tired. She felt sorry for him.

       He was out of his ceremonial wears now and he ran his hands on his hair, letting out a breath. Even though he was exhausted, he was still breathtaking. Maya sucked in air, her heart pounding.

       " I met Fleurie today." Maya announced and he stiffened. He snapped up his head to look at her, alarmed.

      " Did anything happen? Did she do anything?" He asked, unable to hide the worry from his voice.

      Maya shook her head.  "Nothing happened really. Although, she did threaten me. I just ignored her though. She's not worth my time."

         Dexter heaved a sigh of relief at her words. He turned to her, a serious look on his face. " If she tries anything funny, don't hesitate to tell me."

      Maya nodded affirmatively, although she doubted if she would. It was something she could take care of by herself, but Dexter didn't need to know that.

      Dexter looked relieved. He straightened up. " Have you had dinner?" Dexter asked as he rang up the maids. Maya shook her head, rubbing her neck, her cheeks coloring.

     "I didn't feel up to it." She replied, her voice barely audible. Dexter paused, watching her with incredulous eyes.

     " Why? Did the maids forget to bring you dinner?" He asked, his voice slightly raised.

      " No, they remembered. I just couldn't eat. Everything I ate at lunch, I threw up" Maya hurriedly explained, shaking her head.  "It's just one of those days, there's  nothing to worry about, it's no big deal."

       Dexter obviously wasn't sharing the same sentiment. When one of the maids arrived, he ordered for meals for the two of them. They immediately bowed, exiting the room.

        Moments later, they arrived with meals for the two of them. Dexter sat Maya on his lap and made her eat. Maya refused at first but at his prodding, managed to take a few bites. They ate together, quietly. It didn't take long for her to announce she was full.

       " You don't eat a lot. You used to have an healthy appetite." He bemoaned gently as she rocked her, a frown on his face.

        Maya smiled bitterly, remembering the times with her Nanny at the villa. " I know." She whispered, her voice laced with sadness.  "I'm sorry."  She settled on his chest, letting Dexter wrap his hands around her, softly patting her. She relaxed against him, a deep sigh escaping her lips. She felt safe, protected.

         As Dexter rocked her, she grew sleepy, yawning a few times. He was still patting her, running a free hand through her hair. She's been so tense all afternoon, with everything she's heard today and her meeting with that woman. It was nice to let her guard down once in a while.

         She doesn't know if she'll be a good queen, but she's determined to do her best. If not for anything, but for Dexter who has been treating her right, despite the contradictory words she's been hearing about him all day. It was the least she could do for him.

      As Maya drifted off to sleep, she vowed to herself everything possible to not have Dexter be disappointed in her. She's never letting him go.
.
.
.
       Dexter watched as she slept, the soft rising and falling of her chest, how perfectly she fit between his arms, her soft but firm lips, her brown hair packed loosely and scattered against his chest.  He closed his eyes, his mind going back to the events of today, particularly the meeting. He had won the fight narrowly but they had stated they would be keeping their eyes on her. Any slip up, and she would no longer be their queen.

       His eyes grew dark, his body tensing. Like he would let them. He would protect her. No matter what it takes. He's never letting her go. Not after what he did to have her.

       He placed a kiss on he hair and she sighed softly, settling back to sleep. A part of of his lips twitched, his heart fluttering once again. How could he let this angel go? He couldn't. He just can't. He'll be damned if he lets go of Maya.

                 Fucking Damned.

Author's note
     Wouldn't stop editing this chapter over and over again. Anyway,  let me know what you think!
       See you in the next chapter!🙈🙈😏