Vol. 1 Chapter 12.6 - Confrontation

Start from the beginning

"Who knows." I said.

In reality, he and Manabu are actually around the corner, about to listen in to this conversation, ready to come in when the time is right.

"Uhg, fine. Now tell me, why are you doing all of this? Why did you give me the cheats? I know that Hirata used the cheats for his study session, but why did you give them to my tutor group before he revealed the cheats? Why didn't you tell me that the practice material you gave me for my tutor session were the cheats to the exam?"

"First of all, the cheats to the exam were given to me by Hirata. He was the one who bought them. To make it easier for you, he gave you the cheats so that there weren't really many ways for you to mess up teaching them for the tutor session you wanted to do. If the idiot trio knew about it being the cheats, they would have just crammed the day before. If you had known about the cheats, your pride wouldn't have accepted it due to the bet we made, even if going through it would have greatly helped the three of them."

In reality I actually told Sudou that they were cheats, but he still came regardless.

Also, I lied about the fact that Hirata gave me the cheats. I was the one who gave Hirata the cheats. I made Hirata take credibility all for this exact moment. 

I had to reveal and explain to Hirata about some things I didn't want to reveal just because I wanted Hirata to take credit for the cheats. This includes my involvement in the Kushida situation, as well as the bullying plan that the idiot trio and Satou attempted. I revealed a lot of information to a potential enemy for this very moment so that she can't ask around to see if it wasn't the case. There shouldn't be any way for Horikita to know I was the one to buy the cheats, only suspicions.

"W-what? He did? But I thought that you were the one who got them. But, why did he go so far to let me tutor a group on my own?"

"He wanted to give you a chance. A chance to form relations with some of the members of the class. To make allies in this class and form important connections. Perhaps even a chance to make a friend. He sacrificed a few days of going through the cheats with the rest of the class just to give you a chance. But you gave up faster than it took for me to say this sentence."

I joked around a bit with that last sentence. But still, this was something serious.

"All you did was mope about and give up almost instantly, pushing everyone away from you after realizing that it will take a little bit more work than expected. You didn't even consider the consequences that could have arisen had they gotten expelled, and only realized the consequences after Kushida got expelled. Your actions of not tutoring them could have costed the class of ever getting to class A, if it wasn't for the fact that Hirata is in this class. We haven't even been staying at this school for two months and yet our chances to get to class A were already almost completely ruined by you. And here, I thought you wanted to reach class A. You certainly did get distracted by our silly little bet."

"But those idiots had no drive, they just got lucky that they had the cheats from Hirata. And Sudou even failed his English test. I did see them go to Hirata's study group initially. And I heard that Hirata obtained the cheats as well, so I assumed that they were planning to go to Hirata's study group and study from the cheats in those study sessions. However, clearly they crammed the night before after giving up with Hirata's study group as well, just like how they gave up almost instantly with my own tutor group. They surely should have gotten full marks if they didn't and stuck with Hirata's study session." Horikita rebutted.

She really had no idea what happened.

"Don't just assume that they didn't go to the study sessions. In fact, if you had even visited in person to any one of Hirata's study sessions out of concern about those three, you would have realized that Ike, Yamauchi and Sudou chose to keep working and attended every one of Hirata's study sessions. You should have at least checked to see if they were still attending the sessions just in case, as by your own words they gave up on your session, so there was a chance they would give up on his session. They had the work ethic and the drive to save themselves, you just didn't see it. And you gave up on them prematurely and chose to instead focus on beating me and Koenji in the midterms, thinking that they were all safe because of the fact that they were attending his sessions and had the cheats. Even after hearing about the consequences, you didn't make much of an effort at all to help save them, or even at least check up on them enough to ensure for a fact that Hirata could handle it from there. Instead all you did was focus on trying to get 100% in all your tests."