Vol. 1 Chapter 5.3 - After the swimming race

After Sudou was done talking to me, a crowd of both boys and girls ran up to me.

"Hey! No running in the pool!"

"Hey Ayanokouji, that was incredible! You really did beat both Koenji and Sudou at the same time. Leave some girls for the rest of us!" Ike said. It looked like he was also happy that Sudou lost, probably due to him getting drowned earlier.

"Kyaa~~! Ayanokouji-kun you were amazing!"

"Dude, you demolished everyone!"

"Alright everyone, I think Ayanokouji-kun needs some space. You are all confusing him, so please calm down for now." Hirata came to the rescue. I really should buy him something.

"Ayanokouji-kun." It was Horikita. "Explain, now."

"Like I said, I work out from time to time." Horikita did not look satisfied with that respone.

"Uhg, fine."

After this, I chose to take some alone time. Hirata was right, human interactions were surprisingly draining for me mentally. But it doesn't look like I will have a break as of right now.

"...Hey, hey, Ayanokouji-kun. I have something I want to tell you." It was Satou. She was someone who I talked to a bit in Hirata's group, and was also one of the girls I already had contact information with. It looked like she was waiting for the opportunity to catch me when I was alone.

"Well, how do I put it, can I borrow some of your time? I have something to say to you."

Wait, hang on? Is this...? "Y-yes, that shouldn't be any problem."

"Well, f-first, can we go somewhere else? It is a little inconvenient here." We both akwardly walked to somewhere where there wasn't anyone else nearby.

In such strange circumstances, I could only ask, " What's the matter?"

"I'm going to ask you something a little strange... Ayanokouji-kun, is there someone you're currently dating?"

"Err, what does that mean?"

"Well... literally speaking, it means having a girlfriend.... how about that?"

"No..." Well I don't think anyone would have had a girlfriend already right?

"Hmm, I see... Can I take tat as though you're looking for a girlfriend?"

She did not look down on me, nor pity me, but instead showed a happy little smile. I see. Did Koenji set this up? But there doesn't seem to be anyone hiding nearby, nor has anyone followed us.

So either Satou or someone else sees me as boyfriend material?

"If you'd like to start with just being friends --- well... we have sort of already did that. But, like, y'know... take it a little step forward?" So it was Satou herself who is interested. To think that a girl's request would actually come, and in just a week as well. This was like an act in preparation to a confession.

"Anyways, I get it. Alright then, I am looking forward to it then. But could I ask why there is this sudden development?"

Satou blushed a little and didn't open her eyes.

"Ask me why, huh... well~ during the race... Should I say you were very cool? Or should I say that you've been so close-by, and I haven't noticed you much at all? Despite how you sat next to him when the two of you hanged out. I had thought the best guy was Hirata-kun, but looking at you, you seem to be more handsome. You also seem very reliable and gentle and mature... That's all!"

At this point, Satou was blushing red, dying from embarrassment, inevitably leaving like the wind. Wow. Was I even worthy of such a thing?

After what just transpired, I checked my phone. It was a message from Sudou telling me to come over to the convenience store.

When I got there, I saw Sudou waving me over, just like he did the first time, and so I waved back.

"Yo, Ayanokouji, I seriously didn't expect ya to be that fast man!" Sudou complimented me. He then handed me a drink.

"This is for the other day, I thought I would pay back sooner or later." Looks like he accepted what had transpired.

Fizz. The soda can exploded in my face with the drink. He must have shook this real hard.

"Hahaha, gotcha! Now we are even!" Sudou exclaimed while wrapping his arm around my shoulders.

"But to be honest, I am sort of glad that you did beat me. It gives me a new sort of motivation to keep going, knowing that there is a new target to reach." Sudou stated while looking up in the sky. Well, cheers!" Sudou opened his can and drank from it. I did the same. Mmh tasty.

This day has been quite an eventful one.