I Was a Soul Looking for A Body

A/N: This idea has been floating in my mind for a while and I'm hoping that I've written it up as best I can.

Plot: A soul who was searching for a body writes up how things work.

Warnings: Brief mentions of suicide and self harm. Brief Religious mentions but nothing heavy or over the top.

Let me preface this by  saying that this is how we survive the long haul; I want to survive and  live not just exist

Let me preface this by saying that this is how we survive the long haul; I want to survive and live not just exist... we all do and there are souls out there far worse than me... This body wasn't always mine. It wasn't meant to be mine in that sense but we take our chances and hope it pays off. Luckily for me it did and the body is now me too.

I'm telling you this from my new body, I'm writing this using limbs that are new to me. It's such a strange feeling to feel keys under my fingers, rain on my skin. Smell the pancakes my housemates are cooking, taste the maple syrup that I will liberally pour all over them. I have felt rain and tasted foods before but it's been such a long time in earth years that this all seems very new to me again and technically it is new to me because this time period is very different.

Being a soul without a body isn't like people think; we aren't just floating things in nothingness; we also don't have a form that's comprehensible to the human mind... but imagine us as lightly glowing dandelion seeds. We see and hear we just don't have any other senses until we inhabit a physical body. We exist on the same plains as humans do just in a separate level and we're all around all the time however we can't all just jump into a body Willy-nilly; there's a correct way of doing things and I was good and stuck to the rules but not every soul does that.

I'm sorry, this isn't very clear right now but I'll try my best to put things in order for you. Memories and emotions are such a jumble for me as I settle into this physical being - trying to distinguish my own from theirs is like pulling at a tangle of strings and once all those strings are unraveled they can be braided together and neither of us will know the difference.

My soul became free from my previous body when I was murdered. I don't know the time or place because it's no longer relevant, I just know it was a very long time ago. I also don't know how much time passed between my soul becoming untethered and finding someone I could meld with. Time becomes weird and inconsequential when you're not in a body. Like I said before you can't just jump into a body; that body has to be soul-free and you have to have an attachment to it somehow otherwise it won't work.

Before I go further, I'll answer the question I know people will be asking.... "How does a body become soul-free and not die?"

Some people's souls like to travel to the astral plains. They like to wander and experience other places; a sort of wanderlust and it cannot be controlled by the body the soul is in; though some like to think they can project and travel at will it's just the soul taking every chance it can to leave without fully leaving.