xvi. council

"it has been an honor to serve you."

Cassandra sensed that Percy was nervous. It was bad enough for a son of Poseidon to be flying in Zeus's domain but when you were flying straight up to his palace it was even worse. And the thunder and lightning swirling around the marble palace wasn't helping.

They circled over midtown Manhattan, making one complete orbit around Mount Olympus. Cassandra had been there many times before, but each time had been by elevator. Seeing it from this view somehow amazed her even more.

In the early-morning darkness, torches and fires made the mountainside palaces glow twenty different colors, from blood red to indigo. Apparently no one ever slept on Olympus.

The twisting streets were filled with demigods and nature spirits and minor godlings bustling about, riding chariots or sedan chairs carried by Cyclopes. The fact that winter doesn't exist on Olympus always made Cassandra a little bit upset.

Gardens were in full bloom, jasmine and roses and even sweeter things she couldn't name. Music drifted up from many windows, the soft sounds of lyres and reed pipes.

Towering at the peak of the mountain was the greatest palace of all, the glowing white hall of the gods.

Their pegasi set them down in the outer courtyard, in front of a huge silver gates. And before they could even think of knocking, the gates opened by themselves.

Cassandra hopped off of Blackjack who gave her a snort before he left with his friends, flying off into the dark skies, leaving Thalia, Annabeth, Percy, and Cassandra alone. For a minute they stood regarding the palace.

And then, side by side, they walked into the throne room.

Twelve enormous thrones made a U around a central hearth, just like the placements of the cabins at camp. The ceiling above glittered with constellations— even the newest one, Zoe the Huntress, making her way across the heavens with her bow drawn.

All of the seats were occupied. Each god and goddess was about fifteen feet tall.

"That's not intimidating at all" Cassandra muttered.

"Welcome, heroes" Artemis said.

"Mooo!"

That's when she noticed Bessie and Grover.

A sphere of water was hovering in the center of the room, next to the hearth fire. Bessie was swimming happily around, swishing his serpent tail and poking his head out of the sides and bottom of the sphere. He seemed to be enjoying the novelty of swimming in a magic bubble.

Grover was kneeling at Zeus's throne, as if he'd just been giving a report, but when he saw them, he cried, "You made it!"

He started to run toward Percy, then remembered he was turning his back on Zeus, and looked for permission.

"Go on" Zeus said. He wasn't really paying attention, instead staring intently at Thalia.

Grover trotted over. None of the gods spoke. Every clop of Grover's hooves echoed on the marble floor. Bessie splashed in his water bubble. The hearth fire crackled.

Grover gave Thalia, Annabeth, and even Cassandra a big hug. Then he grasped Percy's arms. "Percy, Bessie and I made it! But you have to convince them! They can't do it!"

"Do what?" Percy asked.

"Heroes" Artemis called.

The goddess slid down from her throne and turned to human size, a young auburn haired girl, perfectly at ease in the midst of the giant Olympians. She walked towards them, her silver robes shimmering. There was no emotion in her face. She seemed to walk in a column of moonlight.